Monday, March 2, 2015

News 2: Death, Failure, and Guests

Truth be told, I didn’t want to do this post. Due to my own idiocy by posting up last week’s review late, I have effectively screwed up my posting schedule for the next couple weeks. On top of that, Genericon is happening in over a week, so I don’t really have time to watch anything big. I’ll have an episode review up next week, if only because it’s quick & easy, and it won’t beat up my schedule to death. After the convention, I’ll have a review for it, and hopefully my schedule will be back to normal for the most part. In the meantime, onto the news!

Let’s start off with perhaps the biggest piece of news in recent days. Leonard Nimoy, perhaps best known as Spock on the original Star Trek series, passed away this past Friday at the age of 83. The week before his death, he was admitted to the hospital due to severe chest pains, as he was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in 2014. COPD for short. The man has left a legacy of iconic movie & television roles, some of which are classic, and others a little more infamous. He’s even had a revival as Spock in the newer Star Trek movies of 2009 & 2013, and those performances were just as awesomely cheesy now as they were back in the day. Mr. Nimoy, live long & prosper!

The next piece of news isn’t quite as big, but it’s tragic regardless. The Leetstreet Boys, and band that specialized in music geared towards anime, manga, cosplay, gaming, and everything that lies in an Otaku’s life, failed in their kickstarter to fund a 4th album. If I remember correctly, they only managed to get to the 2,500 to 2,700 (Maybe 3,000 something) of the 9,000 dollar goal. If my math is correct, that amount of money is around the 1/3 mark. Adding onto this, they planning on doing one final concert (At which convention, I’m not sure), but they’re not going to pursue any other concert bookings or album production. For a little more information on this, check out the link below:

http://www.leetstreetboys.com/2015/02/kickstarter-unsuccessful-mostly-bad-news-but-a-little-good-news/

Lastly, there’s some good news. About mid last week, the guests for Genericon were finally announced. There’s Tristan MacAvery, who Evangelion fans might recognize as the voice of Shinji’s father. In addition to him, there’s the geek & comedy oriented Belly-Dancing group, Antipode. I’ve never gone to their shows at the convention, but recently I’ve been watching them on Youtube, and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that they’re a lot of fun! Finally, there’s the iconic geek standup comedian Uncle Yo, bringing his warped brand of comedy to RPI. I’ve been paying attention to his material for a long time, and there’s nothing that I’ve ever disliked from him.

Uncle Yo: Kotoricon 2014 Show

There’s also been a dance that’s been announced yesterday, and in addition to being opened for the con, it’s also available to RPI students who aren’t part of the con. More information can be found below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/355369437990990

So that it for news in recent days. Like I said at the beginning, my schedule for March is now completely screwed up. I don’t know how much I’ll get done, especially since I’ve got another Metal Overview coming in April that’ll coincide with a 5-year anniversary loss of one of metal’s most iconic singers (Hint, Hint). In the meantime, I’m hoping I’ll have the schedule put almost back to normal. Regardless, I’ll be seeing you all soon!



***
For a nice article about the live of Mr. Leonard Nimoy, check out this post from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?module=Notification&version=BreakingNews%C2%AEion=FixedTop&action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=30440287&pgtype=Homepage&_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment