Monday, July 16, 2018

Convention Review - Connecticon 2018

It’s time for my annual Connecticon review fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

It seems like Connecticon has been on shaky ground in recent years. Due to new policies enacted back in 2016, it looks as if the reputation & foundation of this glorious convention is beginning to shake. Despite that, hordes of people flock every year to this kitchen sink of a con, all to celebrate geekery in it’s numerous forms. Will this year’s convention be any different? Well, sit back, and take a look at my review for Connection 2018. Let’s begin!

Good Points
Cosplay is always huge at Connecticon, and this year was no exception. What was really cool this time around (Maybe it was me) that I noticed that there was a slightly greater presence of families this time around. There were a bunch of parents in cosplay, but none caught my eye quite like the site of a father dressed up as Lando Mollari from Babylon 5. Good sir, if you happen to see this review, you brought back a big bunch of nostalgia, and I thank you for it!
Apart from that, the quality of the costume work at the con was great. From giant spectacle, to more humbling pieces, Connecticon 2018 had fantastic cosplay!

Next up is the staff, and they were exceptional. Everytime I came up to one, whether they were on the board, or just a simple volunteer, they were nice, friendly, and willing to help me out with any issue or question I had. They were especially impressive late Saturday night.....but I can’t say anything here. Regardless, when the staff of Connecticon step up their game, they definitely do.

The Dealer’s Room was a hit as usual. I did have some issues with the placement of some booths (More below), but for the most part I loved every single spot I came across. From DVD sellers, to tea peddlers, to clothing, there was literally no stone unturned when it came to goods getting sold. In a welcome yet strange move, carpeting was now place between the various dealers. It made moving around a little less loud, and things were slightly more neat because of this.

The last thing I’ll talk about are the panels. Kinda like 2016 & 2017, I didn’t go to many panels. However, with Connecticon 2018 I went to far more than I did in the previously mentioned years. From a panel about metal bands I may not have heard of (Ironically, I heard of most of what was played), to a bad fanfic reading by the Manly Battleships group, to Cosplay Deathmatch, there was a lot to go to that was fun.

Okay Points
I only have one minor complaint, and to be honest I admit it might seem childish. In prior years I was able to navigate the dealer’s room with ease. I could go from one booth to the other, and never felt like I was lost. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like booths were setup in a more haphazard manner. I had to go up & down some isles just to find 2 of the vendors I was looking for. Again this complaint seems childish, but did anybody else feel like this?

Bad Points
I admit at this point the negatives are rather predictable. Since 2016, these complaints have been getting more & more obvious, and those complaining are getting more & more vocal. It seems silly to talk about these for a 3rd time, but maybe by talking about them over & over, the convention staff might listen.

First up is the convention center closing early. Yes, going to midnight & afterwards is overtime for the convention center staff, and yes it costs more money, but those extra few hours made Connecticon feel more alive. The 18+ panels before it closed were lots of fun, but the early closing makes said panels less interesting to go to, regardless of their quality.

Next up is the amount of stuff on Sunday. Ironically, this really didn’t seem to occur prior to 2016. From 2009 to 2015, Sunday had a surprising amount of stuff to go & do (Something that Genericon at RPI seems to lack most of the time), but from 2016 & onward, Sunday looks like it’s become less & less filled with activities. Keep a bunch of stuff on Sunday, and con goers will be less likely to leave bored.

Of course I gotta talk about the conbook schedule. I don’t have a phone that can do apps. I have a tracphone. Tracphones don’t have the capabilities like I-Phones & Sprint do. It seems risky to use an app for the convention schedule, especially when the internet could go out. I admit I smiled a little when I was at the feedback panel, and the staffers there seemed like maybe it might get put back in the book. Fingers crossed that it happens!

There are other complaints I could put here, but I won’t. Again, it would just be repeating things, and I think a lot of us are tired of it.

Other
This is one thing I can’t necessarily classify in any of the above sections, but it’s something that need mention. On the 14th of July, at around a little after 9:30 (9:36 I think) there had been reports of an active shooter on the premise near the convention center. The space between the hotel & center was evacuated (There’s been dancing going on there like an impromptu rave), and those in the bottom part of the hotel, including myself (I was in the games room), were told to evacuate calmly back to our rooms. Luckily, not long after it was reported to be false, as apparently it was some idiot using illegal firecrackers in the parking garage. The individual managed to hurt himself in the process, but someone mistook it for gunfire, and the end result was as such.

If any convention staff member happens to see this.....thank you. Thank you for being calm & collected for those few minutes. Thank you for keeping us safe, and thank you for keeping order. This incident didn’t last long, but it showed how ready you were in case something actually occurred. If any staff member (Or law enforcement member) can provide me with information about the incident when it’s legal, I would greatly appreciate it.

I also had the privilege of seeing the Dealer’s Room in it’s de-constructed state. On Sunday, me and the 2 friends I was rooming with were asked by one of the booths to help tear things down & pack things away. It was pretty hard work, but it was good at the same time (I didn’t know I could carry 200 pounds on one shoulder over the course of a minute or two!). As I was taking down this booth, I saw all the others getting taken down as well, and it was a strangely awe-inspiring sight. Don’t believe me? Take a look at this picture!

Overall Impression & Rating
Connecticon 2018 was a lot of fun! If 2016 was a little disappointing, and 2017 was fun but flawed, then 2018 was something to enjoy. It still has issues to be sure, and not all of them may get fixed, but it seems like the convention staff is listening to us, and taking steps to make it a better experience. Good on you Connecticon staff!

Connecticon 2018 gets a 7.5 out of 10.

So that was my review for Connecticon 2018. It still had a few dents in it’s armor, but overall I found this year’s con to be a lot of fun. With this out of the way, Industrial Metal Insanity continues forward, so let’s take a look at what Ministry was doing in the mid 2000s. See you soon!


***
If you’re curious about my take on last year’s convention, check out the link below:

Connecticon 2017 (Review)

Also, if any convention staff member can please get me the number of people that came this year, that would be swell.

3 comments:

  1. This is what happened on Saturday:

    https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Man-Fires-Gun-Near-Constitution-Plaza-Following-Riverfest-Fireworks-Police-488222911.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The incident in the NBC article is completely separate from the one mentioned here - a fight broke out on Connecticut Science Center property just before the fireworks actually started, someone in the crowd watching shouted about one of the fighters pulling a gun, and then the actual fireworks started launching, which caused people nearby to mistake the fireworks launching for gun shots. People then began to run away from the fight, and call 911 reporting an active shooter in the area.

      The fireworks always have an increased police presense due to the large crowds drawn by the fireworks, so a response was quick.

      No bullet shell casings were found on the scene by police as they investigated, I was standing next to two officers as the news and descriptions came in of what actually happened and al all clear was given.

      The NBC article is correct and accurate, but constitution plaza is nearly four blocks away from the Connecticut Science Center and Riverfront's Mortensen Plaza - that incident also occurred over an hour after the first one, which was gicen the all clear around 9:45pn.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the information. Again, you guys were on point during this.

      Delete