Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Anime Review: Yu Yu Hakusho (Season 1)

Man, it’s been forever. Hasn’t it, fellow Otaku & Metalheads!?

Not since July of last year have I done an anime review, and I’m genuinely shocked. I’ve done a few anime related list posts, but I’m disappointed that I have reviews a show since then. In recent times, however, an old-school series has crossed my path. An old school series that I’m shocked I’ve never watched before hand......and a series that has mauled it’s way into my brain, and it’s sure as hell not leaving any time soon. So, put some tape on your knuckles, charge up your spirit gun, and get enjoy my review of Yu Yu Hakusho.....season 1. Let’s begin!

Story/Setup
Taken from the box:

Yusuke Urameshi is nothing more than a 14-year-old trouble-causing-punk that’s always ready for a fight! But a single, selfless act results in Yusuke sacrificing his life for another person. Now, he’s given a second chance at life instead of spending time in the afterlife. Put to work as a Spirit Realm Detective with amazing powers, he’s tasked with tracking down demons and humans who desire to rule over the three realms of reality.

If I had to describe the story of season 1, I would say that it’s the establishing of the series. I’ve never read the manga, so I don’t know how accurate the show is compared to the comic, but even with that factor things aren’t the deepest here. You’re given the basic premise, the first reveals of the world, the first bits of character development (Some of which have more than others), etc. That being said, I dug it! Season 1 doesn’t have the deepest story, but it is a nice one. It’s simple, easy to get into, and dare I say the most optimistic/happy of the 4 seasons. That’s saying something considering how violent some of the fights are.

Animation
Right away, it’s obvious that Yu Yu Hakusho is a 90s series. From the look and to the feel, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this shows comes from the last great decade of the world. At first things come across as dated as far as it’s animation is concerned, yet I find that to be part of it’s charm. There’s a lot of color used, and the visuals are actually still impressive to this day. The movement of the characters doesn’t look stiff at all, and overall things look nice. I do confess, I felt a nostalgic vibe as I watched the show. The 90s was a time of some iconic shows, and it was because of animation like you’d find in Yu Yu Hakusho that calls to me in some odd way.

Voice Acting

At first I can see why a viewer wouldn’t like the voice acting. It doesn’t come across as the most amazing, nor the most talented. However, that’s where a little bit of deception comes in. From the main characters to the secondary/side ones, everybody actually puts in a good amount of work. All of the voice actors really fit their assigned roles, and they all seem to be having fun. Christopher Sabat in particular is relishing his role as Kazuma Kuwabara, the lovable & tough dumbass of the group, as plenty of his louder moments are over the top and funny. Speaking of characters.....

Characters
Kinda like the story, the characters of Season 1 aren’t exactly the deepest around. We don’t learn everything about who we’re introduced to, save for a very select few, and even then we don’t get all of what makes them tick. That being said, I don’t think we need everything about them in the 1st season. If we got everything about the character is part 1, then there would probably be no urge to watch season 2 through 4. If anything, the characters are easier to take in because we don’t know everything about them. It makes learning about them in later seasons more fun, and it almost feels like the viewer is along for the journey. If I was to say who I like the most, I’d have to say Kuwabara. Like I said about, he is the lovable & tough dumbass among Yusuke’s small group of friends. He’s not the sharpest of the bunch, but he’s got a hell of a right hook, and he’s actually a pretty caring person despite wanting to punch a lot of stuff. Always loved characters like this!

Availability & Pricing

Thanks to the Funimation remaster/re-release from a few years ago, you can still find Season 1 with plenty of regularity. Over on Amazon, the price for the standard DVD collection is a nice $19.99 for a new copy (Starts at $12.70 for used), and a little more expensive at $27.99 for a Blu-Ray edition (Starts at $19.78 for used). Both prices are pretty easy on the wallet, and while I bought my copy at FYE a few years ago (The cost escapes me), I probably would have gone for either if I found them on Amazon beforehand.

Overall Impression & Rating
Yu Yu Hakusho: Season 1 is just a load of fun! A lot of action, a good bit of character buildup & interaction, and a simplistic story make it really easy to dive into and watch. It may not have the deepest lore (That’s for later seasons), nor does the cast have the most developed backgrounds (Save for a select few), but I don’t think it needs to be in the 1st season. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed finally getting into part 1 of this classic show, and I recommend it to anyone who hasn’t watched it yet. It’s definitely worth your time!

Yu Yu Hakusho: Season 1 gets a 9 out of 10.

At that was my look at the 1st season of one of the most iconic fighting anime in existence! I’m sorry that it took me so long to get to it, and I’m sorry that I haven’t done an anime review in almost a year. I hope to get some more done this year, and in fact....I might have one done by the end of the month. I have other posts in the meantime, but I hope you’re excited for what I have at the end of May. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment