Monday, February 21, 2022

Convention Review: Katsucon 2022

Well, I just had a good weekend recently fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

The convention I’m about to examine was the only convention I managed to go to back in February of 2020, weeks before the Great Plague took over the entire world. A con that left a pretty big impact on me, and in turn made a big fan. I’m of course talking about the Metro D.C. area’s pre-imminent convention devoted to all weeby things, Katsucon! With Genericon at RPI effectively being taken out the pasture, shot in the head, and left for dead, a new con has filled that early-year hole for me. I’ve certainly got a bit to say, so let’s not waste anymore time, and take a look at my review for Katsucon 2022. Let’s begin!

Good Points
Much like Connecticon, I have to give credit to Katsucon’s entry requirements. Like the previously mentioned convention, you were to either have you COVID vaccination card, or you were to have a negative COVID test result from the past 72 hours (If I recall correctly). Not only that, but you had to have a mask on all the time save for when you’re at one of the various eating areas within the hotel. Even though cases of people getting the plague are going down, requirements to enter events are still needed in my view in order to keep the con-guests, con staff, and con-goers as safe as possible. As far as I was able to see during the entire weekend, nobody was having a hissy fit because they had to wear a piece of cloth over one’s face. If anybody was complaining about it, I didn’t hear or see it.

Next up is the hotel itself. Like I said in my 2020 review, the Gaylord is a behemoth of a place to stay. The Hartford Marriott up in Connecticut certainly is grand, but the Gaylord comes across like a small city! There are restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, you name it! I don’t want to repeat too much here, as I’ll just be bringing back points I brought up just under 2 years ago. Same with all of the various shops & such that are nearby the hotel. There is one negative I do have to say about the Gaylord, but I’m saving that for later. Suffice it to say, but the Hotel is a blast to be in!

Finally, I want sum up this part of the review with a bunch of things in my previous review that I thought was just as awesome in 2022. There was the extensive cosplay, as there was so many various costumes & outfits that really stood out. There was the Dealer’s Room, which had an inventory of goods just as expansive as I remembered over 2 years ago, and I was able to purchase quite a few things. To round things out, there was also the extensive selection of panels & events that took place, and while I didn’t go to many of them, the ones I did partake in were lots of fun. I especially liked the Masquerade this year, as there was some pretty fun skits & the cosplays within were perhaps the best out of the entire weekend.

(When I get my pictures off my phone, I’ll update this review with some of them.)

Okay Points
Much like Connecticon from last year, the lack of social distancing is the only thing I can think of to put here. There wasn’t that much, and the only place I can think of that had any was in the autograph lines (I wasn’t in line for any, so I’m only assuming there was). To go down the Devil’s Advocate route however, the strict COVID regulations probably made this less of a concern, and the con-goers more than likely had far more common sense.

Bad Points
So the first thing that’s bad doesn’t have to do with the convention itself, but the trip getting down. Now, people that live nearby the Gaylord aren’t going to have an issue, but I’m from New York State, and it takes a good chunk of the day to get to the hotel & convention center. Back in 2020, it took about 9 to 9 & ½ hours going down, and 8 & ½ to 9 hours going back up. This year was a little shorter, as both going up & down took what felt like 7 to 8 hours each. It was a little easier to deal with, but still was kind of a pain.

Secondly, and perhaps a bit more major to me, would be the lack of a sellable con t-shirt. Now, you were able to get one (As well as a couple more goodies) through doing some volunteer work, so technically you could get one. However, in the Dealer’s Room, there were none to be found. I was told by staff at a table that there were supposed to be people there selling them to con-goers, but they never showed up. This is really frustrating, as I really liked the design of the t-shirt this year, and wanted to show it off to my friends!

Finally, and perhaps this is more of my fault that the convention or the hotel staff. Back in 2020, there was the kitchen on the bottom floor, and there was a fantastic breakfast buffet available in the morning with some choice Southern dishes that you don’t always find in Upstate New York. However, I come to find out that it was closed! There was construction going on not only where the kitchen was, but by one of the escalators as well. Now, if the Gaylord website stated that this was going on & I didn’t see it, then this is completely on me. If this was going on and the hotel didn’t tell anybody, then it’s on them.

(Tiny side tangent: who the hell has a high school class come to one of the most packed & wildest conventions on the east coast!? Who the hell scheduled it during Katsu!? If anyone has an answer, please let me know!)

Final Thoughts & Rating
Katsucon 2022 was a ton of fun! There was a dent or two in the armor, but it was nice & refreshing to come back to a con I first visited just before the Great Plague hit. Like Connecticon from last year, it was so great to see geeks/nerds/Otaku/weebs to all different kinds of stripes wandered the hollowed halls of the Gaylord once again, and it helped make one’s self feel better....if just for a weekend. If you’re interested & have the money, please give Katsucon a go. It is worth your time!

Katsucon 2022 gets an 8.5 to  9 out of 10.

And that was my review for Katsucon 2022. Once again, it was a lot of fun to travel down south for a weekend of fun, and be surrounded by like-minded people. It was refreshing when we’ve had a plague for as long as we’ve had, that we were able to get together & feel just a little bit safer for a few days. With that said, tune in around the end of the month for the previously mention review I’ve been working on. See you then!




***
If you’d like to read my review of the first Katsucon I attended, click on the link below:

Convention Review: Katsucon 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment