Friday, April 8, 2022

5 Songs That Blew Me Away (Part 1)

Happy Birthday to me everybody!

Today’s post is a legit off-the-cuff idea that popped into my head earlier today, and I might turn it into a series I make if there’s enough interest. I figured it’s rather appropriate to get this out on my birthday, as I’m now 35 years old, and in all of my life on Earth at this post I’ve listened to a lot of music. Metal or otherwise, I’ve listened to a ton of songs, and many of them blew my mind into another zone. Some of these songs are old, while others are pretty recent. As a random bit of fun, I figured it would be interesting to show you all some of these tracks in question. So, without further delay, here are 5 songs that blew me away......part 1!

1) Cannabis Corpse - Dawn Of Weed Possession (Song)
It seems silly to begin this list with Death Metal, much less Stoner Death Metal, but I’m being genuinely honest here. Despite being surrounded by Pot Smoke when on stage a lot of the time, Cannabis Corpse are surprisingly competent when it comes to the instrumentation & singing. Not only that, but the band have a healthy dose of humor in each & every song on an album, and Dawn Of Weed Possession is no exception. A tribute to the often overlooked Maniac Cop movie series, the story that the track sets up is just goofy. I think this song blew me away because it’s the ultimate example of never judging a book by it’s cover, and speaking of which......

2) Everfrost - Actraiser (Song)
It’s been a while since I talked about these guys! No, I’m not ashamed of talking about Everfrost again!

Honestly, I don’t think I should talk about this one too much, as I’ve covered this a bunch of times since 2019. To sum it up: I didn’t think that Anime/Manga could combine with Power Metal, but that thought was slapped out of my head from the first few notes of this track. Sure, Everfrost are Power Metal, but the essence of what weebs love are sewn into each and every tune on their records, and as such puts the band in a unique niche. Nothing else to say really!

3) Led Zeppelin - All Of My Love (Song)
To this very day, Zeppelin’s final album, In Through The Out Door, remains the lone release from the band that I enjoy. I still consider it the release that sounds like Led Zeppelin the least, but even then there’s still a track or two that sounds like their old selves somewhat, and All Of My Love fits that description. Like another track on this list, the instrumentation is played rather simplistically, and Robert Plant never gets into the high range (Save for one part at the end). What makes All Of My Love such a mindblower is the sheer emotional weight behind everything. For anyone not in the know, Robert Plant’s son Kerac died 2 years prior to the release of In Through The Out Door, and this song is a tribute to his deceased child. It may not sound like a tribute at first, but if you dig beneath the surface, you will realize that fact. A mindblower for sure!

4) Queen - Mother Love (Song)
Last November marked 30 years since one of the most iconic singers passed away. Last November marked 30 years since Freddy Mercury left this earth for the heavens above, and one of the most iconic Rock/Metal bands ceased to be. However, just because Queen as a whole would no longer be, that didn’t mean there wasn’t anything missing from the tank. Despite missing their classic frontman, the band managed to crank out one final piece of music in the form of Made In Heaven. A patchwork album made mostly of table scraps (Leftover songs from prior records & Freddie's solo career), it none-the-less still had 3 original songs on it, and Mother Love is the best of them. Taking a more slower pace, the instrumentation & keyboard plays rather softly & simply, and Freddy’s voice never gets loud & epic.....save for one final blast of energy near the middle of the song. One final sequence of the most flamboyant human being in music.....giving one last performance of a lifetime. As I’ve stated before, I’m not a full-blown Queen fan, but it’s songs like this that earn my eternal respect.

5) Rammstein - Zeit (Song)
I find it a little strange to end this inaugural list with a song that’s pretty recent, but it’s one that I find necessary to share. In a way, what’s there to say about one of the most iconic Industrial Metal bands the world has ever known? For over 25 years, Rammstein have released some of the most iconic records in the style, not to mention some of the most bombastic live shows that have ever been performed. In 2019 they release their first album in about a decade, and as I’ve said before, it was like meeting a friend I haven’t seen in 10 years....and now I’ve met them again back in March.

I actually find it interesting that Rammstein would begin revealing their new album with this song. Deutschland from 2019 was look into the history of the band’s home country, but Zeit? Zeit is the ultimate analysis of Life, Death, and Time. It’s incredibly insightful, massively emotional, and life affirming as well. If you look up any of the reaction videos to the music video, you will see the viewer’s minds just blow completely away. Hell, there’s at least one or two of them where by the end the viewer is crying. Given that I’m 3 and a half decades old, Zeit resonates with me in a way that the band’s prior music (Even from their return 3 years ago) never did. If you haven’t yet, please give the video a watch if you have the time to spare. You’ll see what I mean.

So these were 5 songs that blew me away. Again, if enough of you like this, then I might considering making another list like this in the future. Well, I’m not sure what else I got planned for April, but stay tuned in the meantime!

No comments:

Post a Comment