Sunday, February 18, 2024

Convention Review: Katsucon 2024

Katsucon 2024 is in the books fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

It was wonderful to come back down to the Metro DC/Maryland area, and celebrate all things anime with some of the coolest people here in the United States. I’ve been having a hard time these past few months, so it was mentally & spiritually refreshing to come back to my new otaku home away from home. So, let me not waste anymore time, and show off my review of Katsucon 2024. Let’s begin!

Good Points
To start the positives off on a weird note, I found it was unusually quicker to get down to the Gaylord than in the prior years I’ve visited. I left from a friend’s house a little after 9, and got down there around 4:15, which was pretty faster when compared to previous years. Going home was oddly fast as well: me & the friends I was with left just after 9, and got back to the driver’s residence around 6:40 if I recall correctly. Getting back to my house was about the normal length (35 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic), so I never really factor that in. Definitely a plus that might happen in the future!

Next positive is the Gaylord itself, and let me just say that I love this place! Outside of one fault I had this year (More on that later), I am always in awe of how massive the hotel is. It really does feel like a miniature city when it becomes populated with so many people: from the fountain, to the restaurants, and to the lobby, it’s an incredible sight to see! It also fills me with wonder as I look at all of the outside doors to the hotel rooms, and it just makes me think that most if not all of them could be filled with con-goers. Definitely something that’ll never leave me!

Speaking of the con-goers, let me just say that the cosplay that everyone brings will always be insane to me! From low end comical/meme cosplay, all the way to elaborate costumes with props that are exquisite. Genericon (When it was around) had some nice costume work, and Connecticon definitely turns the knob up a bit, but in my opinion it’s Katsucon that’s the pinnacle of cosplay on the East Coast!

Next up are the merchants/artists & panels, and as usual they’re great also. I did have one hiccup when it came to a potential purchase (More on that later), and the amount of dealers ever so slightly slips when it comes to who showed up, but as usual I was able to get a usual amount of booty, and the artists as usual are always on point when it comes to how good their work is. I want to support all of them, but then I’ll be poor & living in a dumpster. As for the panels, I can only say that the variety always impresses. From big events like the annual idol show & AMV contest, to smaller things like Greg Ayres’s panel on mental health and a 18+ comedy panel about tentacle hentai, there is always something to see and experience! Even if you don’t go to a lot of panels like me, it’s always nice just to sit down & watch everybody that passes by. I know I definitely did that at some points.

This last good point is a bit of a weird one, and it would be that the mask mandate. If you recall last year, you might recall me talking about how the staff last year enforced it pretty poorly, and whether it was because of that poor enforcement or lessening COVID restrictions, the mandate was lifted, and people didn’t need to wear a mask or provide medical information. On the one hand this was refreshing, as it felt a little like before the plague took over the world. On the other hand.....

Okay Points

The lack of mask mandate did give me some heeby jeebies! I caught COVID for the 2nd time in November last year, and even though I was wearing a mask most of the time, I was still worried that I would catch the plague again & bring it home. Thankfully, I did see at least a couple people wearing masks, and fortunately nobody that was wearing one was picked on by those kind of people. If I’ll feel this or not in 2025, I don’t know.

Bad Points
Ironically enough, I only got 2 bad things to talk about. One is kind minor, and the other was frustrating to me. The minor thing is the lack of T-Shirts for sale, and this was something I’ve encountered before. Back in 2022 I wasn’t able to get that con’s shirt, only to get it & 2023's at the same time. 2024 is no different: the table where they would have been didn’t know if they’d be getting them, and they sounded confused when I ask them if they had any available. If anyone has answers as to why, please let me know.

Secondly, and this isn’t a knock to the convention itself, but towards the Gaylord itself. I don’t know who’s idea it was to switch from cash, to Credit/Debit Card & Gift Card is out of their damn mind! I heard from one of the people at the Potomac area that apparently they changed the policy the week of the con itself, but I may have misheard things when she was talking to me about it. Even if I didn’t hear things wrong, it’s still insane that they’re going forward with this, and I hope it doesn’t cause issue at future Katsucon events

Final Thoughts & Rating
Katsucon 2024 was definitely a step up from last year. Yeah, it did have a blemish or two, but I definitely had a bit more fun in 2024 than last year. Felt a lot more lively, a weight was taken off it’s shoulders, and everybody there just seemed to have a bit more spring in their step. I definitely felt a big weight taken off of me once I stepped foot into the Gaylord, and as I’m typing this I still have some feeling of happiness & love from being around so many amazing geeks, nerds, and otaku of all kinds. All I can say, is good on you Katsucon!

Katsucon 2024 gets an 8.5 out of 10.

And that was my review of Katsucon 2024. Definitely better than last year, and if they can work out the kinks by 2025, it might just be perfect. Well everyone, this was my last post for February. So, join me next month for a look back at my favorite albums of 2023, and until then take care.



***
If you’d like to read my review of last year’s Katsucon, click on the link below:

Katsucon 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment