Friday, January 1, 2021

The Top 10 Moments In Movies That Make Me Cry

Welcome to 2021 fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

The absolute raging dumpster fire, canal water drinking, rancid penis licking year that is 2020 is done! Yeah we’re still gonna have the plague for a bit longer, and yeah we got a mentally handicapped cheeto in the White House for just a few more weeks, but even the first day of the new year comes across as 20 times more optomistic than most of last year. Now, with a new year on us, it’s time for me to emotionally vent. Nothing bad, but I just need to turn the emotional spiget and let out a horde of tears. Throughout all of January, I’m going to show off what makes me cry, cause I think all of us need to let out some salt water, and to start things off on a fresh note I want to show off the scenes from movies that make me bawl my eyes out. So without further delay, here are my top 10 moments in movies that make me cry. Get some tissues!

10) Honey I Blew Up The Kid - Adam Cries (Scene)
- I’m so ashamed by this one! Way back in 1992 when I watched this, I didn’t cry at this part. Nowadays? I bawl my eyes out! The one thing that the Honey series of movies is that there’s always one emotional scene in each film. There was Anty dying in the 1st one, and then there was the kid with the Potassium issue in the 3rd one. In the case of Honey I Blew Up The Kid, it’s the scene where Adam is crying after getting hurt by the shock from the neon guitar. Seeing a kid/child hurt is always bad, but when for all intent & purposes a baby gets injured somehow & cries out for his mother is absolutely heartbreaking. Definitely a tearjerker of a scene!

9) Rugrats the Movie - Spike Dies (Scene)
- From a kids movie that I watch when I was little, to a kids movie that I actually managed to watch in recent years....and one of the most heartbreaking scenes ever. Rugrats wasn’t exactly afraid to tackle something serious: there was an episode about a family where one parent died, and there was a special about Passover & Jewish Heritage! So when the Rugrats movie came out, it helped expand the world that Tommy Pickles & friends were in.......then Spike moment to shine came. At first it’s actually badass, as he goes to town on the wolf that was chasing the gang throughout the film, and at the moment where he achieves victory......he tragically falls to his death, and the group are practically destroyed. Even Angelica, the show’s resident brat, just collapses at this part. The only reason that this scene isn’t any higher on the list is that Spike didn’t actually die. Spike actually manages to live, and how he did was rather convenient...but to give the movie credit they did the “Does He/Doesn’t He” trope really well.

8) Ernest Goes To Camp - Gee I'm Glad It's Raining (Scene)
- I only re-discovered this scene just last month (A few weeks ago, to be specific), and it had been years since I saw the movie in question. For anyone even remotely familiar with the Ernest films, you know that the titular character is an absolute idiot & goofball than none the less has a genuine heart of gold. So to see him defeated & drained of hope is really heartbreaking, and that’s one of the reasons why I cry during this scene. The other reason I cry is how genuine Jim Varney is during the song. He’s a surprisingly good singer in this part, but the cracks in Ernest’s voice make it seem real and from the heart. The amount of emotions in just a little over 2 & a half minutes is equal parts sad and beautiful.....and I kinda like that.

7) The Rocky Horror Picture Show - I’m Going Home (Scene)
- Much like Ernest Goes To Camp, this scene is from another otherwise goofy comedy. Filled with sex, glamour, hilarity, and some good songs, Rocky Horror Picture Show is a 70s cult classic! So it comes as a huge surprise towards the end, when the sensual Dr. Frank-N-Furter is up on stage.....and sings a pretty emotional tune. Taking a more subdued approach when compared to effectively every other track, we have a heartbreaking gospel song sung by Tim Curry. There’s definitely a loudness to it, but that has more to due with the sheer emotional weight coming from Curry. It’s obvious as the scene goes on that he absolutely doesn’t want to leave Earth, yet there’s a part of him that knows that he has to go back to Transsexual.....in the galaxy of Transylvania. Like Ernest’s moment above, this contrasts with the rest of the film, and that contrast is what makes the tears come out for me.

6) Christopher Robin - Tigger Song (Scene)
- I made a brief mention of this back in my Top 5 Movies Of 2018 list (Read here if you haven’t seen it yet), but I’ll elaborate further on it here. Christopher Robin is an increasingly rare example of a live-action Disney movie that’s really fun to watch. This one in particular is a seemingly perfect balance between lighthearted family friendly, surprisingly serious but slightly hammy reality, and touching nostalgia. I was actually really torn between the first encounter between Christopher & Pooh and the Tigger Song, because both scenes were genuine tearjerkers. However, I found it was when the Tigger Song occurred that for some reason I cried just a little more during this scene....and I’m not sure why. It’s not a sad scene by any means, as whenever Tigger is on the screen there’s no sadness at all! If I had to put my finger on it, I would easily put it on the sheer childhood nostalgia impact to my face. By sheer nostalgia alone, I cry during this upbeat moment in the film. Good on you Disney. You actually managed to do something right in recent years!

5) Pokemon the First Movie - Ash Turns To Stone (Scene)
- I think every kid that saw this film in the theaters dropped their jaw at this moment. I was not one of these kids, as I actually watched the movie on tape. However, when I saw Ash become a statue......yeah, I can relate to those kids in the movie theater! The main TV series certain had some emotional moments, but to see a beloved character effectively die absolutely hurts. Not only that, but seeing Pikachu trying in vain to bring him back, and the rest of the Pokemon there absolutely opening the floodgates of tears is basically a childhood/early teens Vietnam. You go through it, and you’re gonna come out with a scar or two. As silly as it sounds, Ash turning to stone is one of the saddest & most haunting moments in any kids film.

4) Blazing Saddles - Welcome, Sheriff (Scene)
- If there was ever an example of a movie scene that makes someone cry due to sheer laughter, it would be this one. If I’m being honest, you can pick just about any scene from Blazing Saddles, and it will make someone cry a lot because they’d laugh so much. However, I have to pick this scene for myself as that example. You got Gabby Johnson as lookout near the church, while everybody else is in the center of town getting ready for the new sheriff. I genuinely can’t describe what else happens, as it would ruin the comedic effect. Suffice it to say, the hilarious clusterfuck that happens when the town’s new lawman arrives is nothing short of genius!

3) Die Hard - Karl’s Death (Scene)
- Right away I can here you laugh. A scene in Die Hard makes you cry? I will not judge anyone for this reaction, and I completely understand if you have this reaction. However, sometimes an emotional scene comes out of nowhere, and hits us so hard that we cry. Ironically, we sort of got a little bit of buildup to it earlier in the film. I won’t spoil it, but for anyone that’s seen this action classic, you know what I’m referring to. Still when the last terrorist gets shot up, and you see the officer’s face after he did the deed.....you can just see the absolute horror. You can see the painful memories of what happened years ago come back to the surface, and if he were to say something, it would be.....”Dear God what have I done”. Again, just a tearjerker.

2) To Kill A Mockingbird - Scout Meets Boo Radley (Scene)
- Despite being one of my honorable mentions of movies, I thoroughly enjoy To Kill A Mockingbird. A film that’s just as good as the book (Maybe even better sometimes), the craftsmanship that went into it is incredible. Visuals, sound, acting, characters, and storytelling are all top notch, & there’s not a single fault to be found. Though there are plenty of moments where one can turn on the waterworks, for me it has to be right at the end of the film. After being attacked, a hulking savior came to the rescue for Jem & Scout, carrying the unconscious body of the young boy back to their house. After some confusion & panic, it turned out that Boo Radley, the oddball that lives in town, was their unlikely savior. The reveal was absolutely perfect: the gentle music, the acting from everybody, and the first-time appearance of Robert Duvall & his steely-eyed yet peaceful stare all combined into a scene that just calls out the tears. The ONLY reason that this isn’t my number one is that on rare occasions......I don’t cry.

Before we get to my tissue destroying number 1, I wanted to talk about some honorable mentions. Make no mistake, I can get some tears from these two. They are emotional, and they tug at the heartstrings really hard. However, both of these scenes don’t quite have that grip when I compare them to everything else on here. With that said, here are my emotional honorable mentions.

HM1) Rugrats the Movie - Tommy Snaps (Scene)
- This was going to be my original no. 9 scene, and let’s get this out of the way: this scene gets me to cry a lot. Seeing an naturally lovable character snap & try to sacrifice his baby brother is incredibly shocking, but where it gets me to bawl my eyes out is when Tommy realizes what he is about to do, and the two realize that is not going to be so bad after all. The only reason that this scene became an honorable mention....is that I’m an only child. Yeah, I know that sounds kinda dorky, but in a weird way I thought that it wouldn’t have been genuine if I put this at no. 9. However, this scene gets me to cry regardless, and for a chunk of us 90s kids.....it does for you also.

HM2) The Mummy Returns - Imothep’s Death (Scene)
- Nearly 20 years later (Technically 20 later this year), this scene still surprises me. The remake from 1999 was a action-packed thrill ride that was awesome, and The Mummy Returns is no exception. Then the betrayal of Imothep’s lover came out of nowhere, and just the absolute crushing of his once-immortal heart really tugs at the heartstrings. The only reason that it doesn’t make it to the main list is that it’s rather short. No more than under a minute, if I recall correctly. Still, this surprising moment definitely makes the eyes misty. However, this one, and everything else above.....don’t compare to the Niagara Falls scene that is my no. 1.

1) Schindler’s List - He Who Saves One Life Saves the World Entire (Scene)
- I don’t think I need to really explain to all of you at just how much Schindler’s List is one of the saddest movies ever put to film. The Holocaust is always a bleak subject, but to see it recreated with such horrific accuracy is incredibly frightening. You could pick literally any scene, and chances are it’ll make you cry. For me, I have to pick the scene towards the end where Oskar & his wife are escaping the advancement of the Russian Army. They have just about everything they need, but the Jewish workers stop them to give them a letter about what was going on, and a gold ring that signifies the tremendous amount of good that Mr. Schindler did. From there, the man just breaks down, weeping that he couldn’t have saved anyone else. The Jews around him just embrace him and comfort him at what is possibly the darkest point in his life.....nothing else to say really.

And those were my top 10 movie scenes that make me cry. With the new year upon us, it’s time for a cleansing, and this is how I’m cleansing. Join me in the middle of January, where I’ll show you the 10 moments from television that make me cry. Definitely some interesting points there!

No comments:

Post a Comment