Friday, August 12, 2016

5 Thrash Albums You Should Own

Hello fellow Otaku & Metalheads.

As you know, this past Monday I posted up the final review of the Summer of Thrash, detailing the EP of Canadian thrashers Razor. However, in the ensuing process I realized I didn’t do any “Suggestion” lists throughout this festival of Thrash Metal. I was considering a suggestion list of songs, but I felt it wouldn’t be enough, so I decided to got for a list of albums instead. Not “top” albums mind you: these are albums that I’m suggesting to buy & listen, not as a way of ranking which is better. Also, I didn’t want to fill this list with albums taken from this festival, although there are at least 2 records I reviewed that’ll be on here. With that out of the way, here are 5 Thrash Metal albums you should own (and listen to). Enjoy!

1) Kreator - Endorama (Sample Song)
I have to admit I’m cheating somewhat with this album. I’ll get into more detail in my eventual review (Or part of a overview), but this isn’t a Thrash Metal album. It’s more along the lines of Gothic & Industrial Metal, with only a few threads of Thrash sewn in to keep things a little recognizable. You’re probably asking then, why I’m putting this album on here? That’s easy: it’s because it serves as an example of a Thrash band experimenting with different things, and being successful at it. It definitely got a fair share of criticism when it came out, and it still gets some mud thrown at it today. However, it still has a lot of polish & quality put it, so if you want something different from one of the big 4 of Teutonic Thrash, then Endorama is a great choice!

2) Slayer - Repentless (Sample Song)
Another classic band, Slayer has certainly weathered the passage of time. For better or worse the group is still around, kicking ass & taking names. I’ll admit I was never a fan of the group (Mostly cause I thought it was noise), but I respect them for the legacy they made for themselves. Come April of this year, and I caught sight of a copy of their 2015 release Repentless on sale at a F.Y.E., and it was then that I decided to jump on board with the band. I’ll admit that buying this record was more of an impulse than anything else, but maybe it was a “Happy” kind of impulse. A great release from one of the Big 4. Speaking of Big 4........

3) Metallica - Ride The Lightning (Sample Song)
That brings us to this familiar face. Considering that I looked at Megadeth back in June, you’d think I would include them on this list. As tempting as it was, I’ll save them for another time. Instead, I decided to put Metallica’s more Thrash-ladened album on this list. Their first record was equally tempting to place here, but that was more speed oriented, and I felt it would clash with everything else (Ironic, given that Endorama is on here). Anyways, Ride the Lightning is a class Thrash album, cementing the legacy of what once made Metallica so good. I can only hope that the album that’s coming this year finally lives up to their old legacy.

4) Sodom - Tapping the Vein (Sample Song)
You saw me gush about this album last month when I looked at Sodom’s entry into the 90s, so I’ll try not to repeat much.....okay, maybe I’ll repeat some things. This is the greatest Death/Thrash album that’s ever been put to a CD! Thrash Metal beats & rhythms, Death Metal brutality & violence combine to create a unique album that stands out within the sadistic sounds of Sodom. If I didn’t discover Tapping the Vein around the time that my Mom was in the hospital, then it’s possible that I wouldn’t hold it in as high of regard, but I’d love it all the same! 

5) Motörhead - Overkill (Sample Song)
Of course Motörhead was going to be here. You knew that the progenitors of Thrash Metal/Speed Metal was going to get onto this list, and you knew that Overkill would be the album to represent them. Overkill is pure metal history, released at a time when the genre was still getting onto it’s feet & establishing it’s identity. Yes, the album is almost 4 decades old, but the power contained within each & every song is still potent, and can get an entire room to headbang furiously. If you decided to venture in the world of Thrash Metal, or Heavy Metal at large, Overkill is the album you must listen to.

So this truly concludes the Summer of Thrash. I had a lot of fun doing this, and I hope that any of you that looked at these enjoyed reading thing. I’ll be taking most of the rest of August off, but right towards the end I’ve got a rather somber Metal Overview in the works. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment