Monday, February 20, 2017

5 Prog Metal Albums You Should Own

Welcome to the final week of Proguary, fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

I think it’s an unofficial rule when I do these musical-themed events: put out a “5 X Albums You Should Own” list. I did it during the Summer of Thrash event I did last year, and it’s only right that I did one for Proguary. I will say that I only put 1 album I looked at during this month instead of 2. Not to say that I wanted to, but this time around I felt that other bands deserved some time in the spotlight. In any case, here are 5 Progressive Metal albums you should own. Enjoy

1) Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (Track)
It’s a safe bet to say that when Iron Maiden went Prog, it wasn’t that impressive. Dance With Devils, A Matter Of Life and Death, and The Final Frontier (To a lesser extent) are often considered to be among the worst in the band’s discography. That being said, their concluding album in the 1980s was perhaps their only time where Progressive Metal seemed to suit them. While Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son was still a lower-tier album in comparison to their output in the 80s, it wasn’t quite the hideous abomination that it’s critics say it is. Iron Maiden manages to go Prog in their own way, and the end result is an album that’s very misunderstood within their prestigious collection of albums.

2) Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech (Track)
Though it was his more modern material that finally got me to enjoy his music, it was his first album I bought physically that makes it’s way onto this list. The 90s were HevyDevy’s more wilder days, and before his discovery of the Bipolar Disorder, you could see how the chaos permeated his music. Ocean Machine was right before he checked himself into the hospital, but before he regained control of his mind, this was one of his most unique offerings. In many ways this was a portent to Infinity & the albums beyond, as the Prog became more unique, more artistic, and all his own. He might have had issues with his mind, but these issues lead to what may be one of his most stylish albums of the 90s.

3) Queensrÿche - Rage for Order (Track)
What Devin Townsend was to the 90s & beyond, Queensrÿche was to the 80s & 90s, and Rage for Order is one of the many feathers in their cap. Just acquiring the tool to shape the force of Prog to their well, and by god did they shape it! Rage for Order might be more primal in terms of Progressive Metal, but it’s an important piece in the history of this subgenre’s evolution. On top of that, and not to repeat myself from the review for the album, but the fact that it’s aged so well cements it’s legacy, and continues to be an awesome record to listen to!

4) Gojira - Magma (Track)
And here is the most modern Prog Metal offering on this list.

Truth be told, I was never a fan of France’s offering to the altar of Prog. Gojira is a master of the genre no doubt, but I’ve always found them a little too pretentious for my taste. Much of their lyrical content is centered around environmental themes, and came across as a little hippie-like. That being said, I wasn’t turned off by their 2016 release, Magma. I don’t know if I heard & interpreted things different, but this album isn’t quite so environmental as their other records. They’re nice & heavy, and each song has some great atmosphere, but there’s a thoughtful edge that’s present throughout the album. I wouldn’t exactly call it highly intellectual, but it’s the kind of music that gets a gear or two to turn in your head. If you want a Prog Metal album that’s (Fairly) hot off the press, then Magma is the album for you.

5) Nocturnus - The Key (Track)
Alright, this will be the last time you’ll hear me talk about this band.....for a while, at least.

But can you blame me!? Last year on the “top 5 thrash albums you should own” list the “Exception” album was Kreator’s Goth/Industrial release, Endorama. For this one, I could only think of Nocturnus first Death/Prog Metal outing. The Key really is an intriguing little album: it’s got all of the brutality of Death Metal, the artistic bent of Progressive Metal, and a healthy dose of Science Fiction atmosphere. At first you’d think it wouldn’t work, but after getting through the first 2 to 3 songs, your brain immediately gets it. I’ve spoken about this album twice so far, so that should tell you how awesome this album is!

So there you have it. 5 Prog Metal albums you should have in your collection. It’s definitely a bizarre list, that’s for sure. Given that I devoted February to the musical force that is Prog.....perhaps it was the right thing to do. Well, March isn’t far away, and that means I got Genericon coming, so I’ll be taking a break for the next 2 weeks to get stuff ready. See you the Monday after the con for my annual Genericon review!

No comments:

Post a Comment