Monday, November 20, 2017

Food For Thought/Though For Food No. 8: In Defense Of Call Of Duty

Hello fellow Otaku & Metalheads, and welcome to the final post of Call of Duty month!

At the beginning of this month, we looked at my top 5 favorites entries into the Call of Duty franchise. A few days after that I reviewed the iconic Modern Warfare, and last week I talked about my favorite missions throughout the various Call of Duty titles. Today’s post is a bit more serious when compared to the previous 3 articles I typed up. Don’t worry: much like my Monster Musume edition of Food For Though/Thought For Food from last month, I’ll do the best I can to not swear & be more civil in this one. With the last one I was successful. This one? I might fail.

If you have ever met me, you’ll know at some point when we talk about games, I’ve probably brought up Call of Duty. I enjoyed the series! From it’s origins in the early 2000s, to all the way here in 2017, I have been with one of the FPS industry giants. I’ve always had fun: from World War 2 & the Cold War, to the Modern Era, and the more recently venture into the future & science fiction, Call of Duty has been there for me. Do I think that each entry is the be all & end all? Hell no! I might enjoy the series as a whole, but every title isn’t made equally. When effort’s put in, you can tell. When there isn’t enough effort put in, it’s obvious. The point being, I love this series. And there’s one thing I’ll always do.....and that’s come to it’s defense.

This doesn’t mean I’m blind to the criticism of Call of Duty. Like I said above, not all entries are made as well as the others (Just ask me about Ghosts, and I will rant for days). I don’t deny that the franchise has problems. I will gladly point out a CoD title’s issues, and even call out a fan or two if I see it’s necessary. On the other hand, I’ll defend my love of the series as well. I would proudly, and without shame, say that I like Call of Duty. I will explain, to the best of my ability, why I enjoy CoD, and point out which titles are the one’s I like. So why am I admitting this?

Because so many other CoD fans won’t. With so much shame & ridicule flung their way, it’s easy to see why they don’t speak out. That’s actually the problem! Many Call of Duty fans won’t come out about their enjoyment of the series, and some who do aren’t very articulate, and they feed into the stereotype of Call of Duty players being college bros that get drunk all the time! It’s a real shame, cause when CoD players defend their choice of game, every once in a while they’re pretty effective. I think that fans who don’t defend themselves make the situation worse, more so than fans who defend themselves poorly.

Final thoughts: Don’t shame people for liking this series. You wouldn’t like it if it happened to you. Also, be a little more thoughtful & smart about your criticisms towards the series. For everyone’s complaints about the series always being the same, it’s amazing how said complaints are always the same as well.

And this was my take on the Call of Duty franchise. I hope you liked what I had to say about this (And my other posts as well), and please leave a reply in the comment section below if you agree or disagree with anything I said. I was planning to make this a larger post, but due to the incoming Holiday, I managed to sum up things a little tighter. Anyways, I’m taking a week off to enjoy the incoming holiday, and to get ready for the final posts of 2017. Until then, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment