Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Smackdown: Episode 289 Review (Review Road To Wrestlemania Part 3)

Hi there fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

Well, this is it. My final wrestling post on my review road to Wrestlemania, and like I alluded to in my last post, this one’s personal. I already took a look at Wrestlemania 20 back in January, and last month I examined the 5 moments in wrestle that get me to cry. This time around? I’m going back to where I truly reconnected with wrestling and the WWE. I’m going back to the first ever event that reignited my love for the magic that happens in the ring. I’m going back.....to Smackdown.

That’s right, WWE’s secondary show was what really got me back into wrestling. Thanks to the WWE Network, I’m able to travel back to March 3, 2005, and re-watch what is one of my most favorite WWE shows of all time. To make things a little simpler for myself, I am strictly going to be looking at just the matches. The main show matches, and the Velocity matches (Which were recorded before Smackdown itself) are all going to get covered. With that out of the way, here’s my review for Smackdown on March 3, 2005. Let’s begin.

Velocity
Paul London & Funaki vs Chavo Guerrero & Akio
Winner: Paul London & Funaki
- We begin Velocity between some of the biggest hi-flyers in the company at the time. Sure, each of the four men in this match weren’t as high on the card as other wrestlers that were on the show, but they put on a hell of a show. Everybody got an equal amount of time in this match, both in terms of screentime & how much they could work. As a way to not only open up Velocity, but Smackdown proper.....it was a good choice. Definitely a fun match!

Nunzio vs Spike Dudley
Winner: Nunzio
- From the high-flyers, we come to the scrappers. At first glance, neither guy looks physically intimidating. Once both of these guys get in the ring, however, that misconception goes right out the window. I must confess, I always had a soft spot for Nunzio and the rest of the F.B.I. (Full Blooded Italians), so it’s easy to see who I wanted to win this match. Spike was easily the heel of the match, as he was using different parts of the ring to his advantage. Right about the end of the match Spike Dudley put his leg on the rope to try to get out of the match, but Nunzio pulled out one last move for the win.

The Bashams vs Hardcore Holly & Charlie Haas
Winner: Hardcore Holly & Charlie Haas
- The last match of Velocty is really personal to me. It marked the first time that I began chanting along with the crowd (It was “Bashum’s Sucks!”, and just about everybody in the arena was doing it), and one of the wrestlers managed to clap my hand (Hardcore Holly). This was easily the brute force portion of Velocity, as both guys beat the crap out of each other. There definitely was some action on the ropes, but both sides kept their feet on the mat for the most part. Kinda like the first match from this show, both teams had equal time to show off, and in the end, the rightful team won. Nice way to end Velocity!

Smackdown
Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio vs Mark Jindrak & Luther Reigns
Winner: Eddie Guerrero & Rey Mysterio
- With Eddie’s death later on in 2005, I consider it a privilege that I got to see the iconic Latino wrestler live at least once. Coming out in the lowrider, his theme song blaring in the at the time Pepsi Arena, and with Rey Mysterio by his side (The two were Tag Team Champions in early 2005), it painted an image that’s stayed with me since that day. Eddie & Ray were perfect counterparts to Jindrak & Luther, who were built like tanks and having issues within their team (Forgot what over). The two teams work surprisingly well together, despite feeling some small pings of disconnection between both sides. I especially enjoyed seeing Eddie & Ray flying all over the place, especially when Eddie gave Luther Reigns the Frog Splash. A fine match to start Smackdown on.

Heidenreich vs Booker T
Winner: Heidenreich (By DQ)
- Oh boy, Heidenreich. I fully admit that he was a guilty pleasure when I got into Smackdown. Looking back.....yeah, he’s not that good. So it came as a surprise to me all these years later that they gave the win to him by DQ (Due to severe BS in my book)! It’s ironic that I’m complaining, since the match was okay. Not god awful, as both men put in some effort & talent, but it’s easily a “Meh” kind of match. Booker T was definitely pulling his weight, as he laid down a bunch of the offense, and Heidenreich was carried by him through the whole bout (Though he put in a little bit of work). When the match was done, I was like “Eh, what’s next?”.

Angle Invitational
Winner: No Contest (See Below)
- Ironically, I wasn’t upset that there wasn’t a match here. This part of the show was really meant more as a buildup for Kurt Angle & Shawn Michael at Wrestlemania 21. Kurt had come out with security, and bragged about the beatdown he gave Shawn the week before, but not long after challenged a random wrestler to a match for his gold medal. Out came a local guy named Shawn White, and before the bout could actually happen, Shawn Michael, disguised as a camera man, came out of disguise to assault Kurt when he wasn’t looking. It was successful at first, till Kurt managed to run away, and Shawn was disabled by security. Definitely a good match buildup.

Michelle McCool & Big Show vs Dawn Marie & Rene Dupree
Winner: Michelle McCool & Big Show
- Talk about a bits-n-pieces kind of match! On their own, each wrestler definitely can go (Big Show especially), but all together? It just feels like they mashed a couple wrestlers together, all in an effort to see what would stick. Does this make for a bad match? Not necessarily, but this was easily a filler match, as it lasted just a few short minutes, and the men were barely in it except for the end. If you’re watching this episode of Smackdown on the network, then skip this match when you get to it.

Orlando Jordan vs John Cena for the U.S. Title
Winner: Orlando Jordan
- And here we are. The main event. Right at the beginning of Smackdown, Cena had come out and delivered one of his thuginomics promos (Promo), ending with him saying that he’d be taking on Orlando Jordan in a match for his U.S. title. Meanwhile, JBL had come out just before this match to deliver one of his heel speeches, and at the end drove off in one of his limos, leaving Orlando there by himself (Orlando was in JBL’s pocket at the time). Cena came to the ring first, then Orlando came out with a nervous look on his face. From there, the two get into a fight, and it’s pretty good despite Cena doing most of the offense. By the end of the match it seemed like Cena was going to win, but the Bashams (Who were also in JBL’s pocket), and JBL provided the distraction needed for Orlando to win. A spicy way to end the night, and a hell of a way to start building up between Cena & JBL!

Final Review Score: 10 out of 10 on a nostalgia factor, but a 7 to 8 out of 10 for practicality.

So that was my review for the first ever Wrestling event I ever went to, Thursday Night Smackdown (On A Tuesday). I confess the nostalgia factor was pretty high while I watched, and even though not all of it has aged well, I can’t deny that it tugs at the heartstrings a little even today. Well, March is just about done, and I’ve got 1 last post for the month. So see you on the 31st, when a sci-fi classic turns 20.



***
If anyone who is newer to Velocity & Smackdown, or if you’re an old-schooler looking for a bit of nostalgia, check this out:

Velocity Intro

Smackdown Intro (2005)

Also, if you’d like another review of the show, complete with looks at the in-between segments and the dark matches (Which weren’t on the WWE Network), check out the link below:

Smackdown (March 3, 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment