Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Album Review: W.A.S.P.'s The Headless Children

Sorry I’m late fellow Otaku & Metalheads.

It wasn’t anything major. I had thought it was still a little too soon to post something, and so I did type anything up. Low & behold I looked at my calendar, and realized that maybe I should get something out! Luckily, with World Coming Out a little over 20 years ago this month, I figured I’d make an unofficial theme for November, where I take a look at albums that have turned a certain age. In regards to the release I’m looking at today, it just so happened to turn 30 earlier this year, and it’s a classic to boot! So don your leather clothes, get your protest sign, and scream at my review of W.A.S.P.’s final album of the 80s, The Headless Children. Let’s begin.    

Background

The period after the release of Inside The Electric Circus was the roughest that Blackie Lawless & W.A.S.P. felt at the time. Their 3rd album didn’t do as well as they thought, and some critics (Chief among them Blackie himself) seemed to just tear into the thing. Coupled with a rather negative review of the single 3.5 N.A.S.T.Y., Blackie began thinking about what & how the band should progress. Deciding that perhaps a more socio-political route was the right way to go, and so he and the rest of the band went into the recording studio, jammed their hardest, and on April the 15th in 1989, put out The Headless Children for all to listen to.

The Headless Children would go onto be one of the highest charted album, staying at the no. 48, and stay there for 13 weeks, eventually become the biggest selling album of W.A.S.P.’s entire career. Not only that, but fans & music critics praised the album to no end, with Hard Rock writer Thomas Kupfer stating that The Headless Children was second to the band’s debut release, while Canadian journalist Martin Popoff described the album as "the W.A.S.P. record for those who don't like W.A.S.P., hollow, damp and alone, integrity discovered, humanity revealed." Sadly, The Headless Children would be the last album for nearly a decade that iconic guitarist Chris Holmes would play on, as he didn’t mesh well with the new direction that the band was turning onto. Ironic, considering that there was a song on the album Blackie dedicated to him (Mean Man).

Basic Description

Politically minded Blackie Lawless.

If The Headless Children is the first W.A.S.P. you’ve listened to, you’re in for a world of whiplash. Their prior 3 albums were filled with sex, drugs, rock n roll, and that patented Shock Rock meets Hair Metal formula they’ve perfected so well. Then this album comes along, and kinda changes the game for the band. Make no mistake: they still have that aquanet hairspray floating around, and they still know how to offend. However, with the change in subject matter, their focus is less on physical wildness, and more on sticking it to the man. War, systemic oppression, and religious hypocrisy are just some of things that Blackie & the gang covered on this album, and it’s simultaneously refreshing yet confusing in a way.

Best Track
Like I said back in August, the band’s cover of The Real Me is the best thing on The Headless Children. Make no mistake: The Who crafted a wonderful song, and I can see why people like it. For me, I kind of like the more raw approach that Blackie & the gang took with their cover. I easily see why it connected with many younger people at that time, and the mix of The Who & W.A.S.P. probably resonated with a lot of them. As for myself.....I think it’s just an awesome song.

The Real Me

Worst Track
As I stated in August, The Headless Children’s only “Flaw” would be the tonal shift it took. Forgoing the sex, drugs, and rock n roll route of their first 3 albums, this one goes for a more socially conscious route, with a little bit of politics thrown into the mix, and I think for some this was probably off-putting. However, it’s the only time that I didn’t have an issue with this change, as it never necessarily came across as in your face (At least not completely). The topics sung were legit issues at the time, and still are today. Ironically, Blacke never came across as the conservative Christian like he has been since 2001. Rather, he smoothed out his carnal edge with real-world issues. That’s how I see it at least.

Other
If you’re curious about listening to this album, check out the link below:

The Headless Children

Overall Impression & Rating
The Headless Children definitely shows off a more socially conscious Blackie Lawless, and by extension a more socially conscious W.A.S.P.. That doesn’t mean that they lost what made them so successful in the first place, as that raw W.A.S.P. sound & feel is still very much apparent. It may not have as much sex & violence as say their first record, but The Headless Children compensates by having a sharp edge that cuts into your mind, and it’s not healing anytime soon. Luckily, this is one head wound I don’t mind suffering from.

The Headless Children gets a 9 out of 10.

Again, sorry for getting this up a little later this week. I forgot about putting something up, but luckily I remember just in time. I’ll see you all towards the end of this month, when I’ll review the oldest album I have in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment