Saturday, May 30, 2020

Anime Review: Beyond The Boundary

Hi fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

With season 1 of Yu Yu Hakusho done at the beginning of the month, I’m finally able to get back into the swing of things when it comes to anime reviews. I won’t be reviewing shows non-stop, but I’ll put as many reviews as I can get through here in 2020. Despite the plague being everywhere still, that will not stop me from putting out content for all of you! Switching gears, today’s review is a more lighthearted series, but one that still has plenty of fun characters, fighting & emotional weight to the story. So, be sure to pay your rent on time, and keep your glasses clean, cause we’re gonna take a look at Beyond The Boundary. Let’s begin!

Story/Setup
From the Amazon Editorial Reviews blurb:

They should never have met. They shouldn't even exist. But when they come together, the entire world will change. The last surviving member of her clan, Mirai Kuriyama is cursed with the terrifying ability to control and manipulate blood, a power so heretical that she is shunned even by those with the ability to understand her "gift". Akihito Kanbara is only half human, but while the monstrous other half of his lineage seems to have doomed him to a life alone, it has also given him near invulnerability in the form of rapid healing. Alone, their futures seem bleak, but when a chance encounter brings them together, it becomes clear that they share more than just an unexpected bond. Together they share a destiny and a mission that only the two of them together may be strong enough to survive. Beyond the world that we know, in a realm where nightmares are real and legends walk, their future awaits BEYOND THE BOUNDARY.

First off, I technically haven’t completely watched the show. I managed to view the 1st seven episodes, but I took a break for whatever reason, and during that break the youtube page I was following had them taken down for copyright purposes. So for the purposes of this review, I’m only going to cover what I have managed to see, and I must say I like the story that Beyond The Boundary presents. It’s simplistic, unique, emotional (Both good & sad/serious), and the world that is made is funky. It’s easy to get hooked into what the series has to offer, and you might want to stay & see what it’s all about.

Animation
Beyond The Boundary, right from the outset, is a Kyoto Animation work. Everything looks gorgeous: the colors, the background, the way people & Yomu move (Especially some of the weirder Yomu), etc. It’s a really well-made show on the visual front, and just goes to show that KyotoAni will always make a good looking series. Even if you don’t like their work, you can always enjoy how it looks.

Voice Acting
For a Sentai Filmworks dub, I’m actually pretty impressed at just how good it is. Normally a dub from this company is mediocre at best, but the voice actors here do a really good job! Primary characters sound nice, secondary sound nice, and everything else is wonderful on the sound front. If I had to pick who I think did some of the excellent dubwork on Beyond The Boundary, I’d have to go with Kira Vincent-Davis. With some of her prior work In shows like Air (Minagi Tono) & Azumanga Daioh (Ayumu Kasuga), she fills the shoes of Mirai Kuriyama quite nicely. I love the fact that she gave the character a bit of a squeaky quality to her voice in certain situations, which just makes her cuter....speaking of characters.......

Characters
As with the story, my understanding of the characters in Beyond the Boundary goes only up to episode 7, so I’ll only judge them up until that point. With that said, I like who I saw in what I watched. I do admit there is some predictability as far as relationships are concerned (*cough* the first 2 characters we meet*Cough*), but for the most I liked everybody I encountered. The most interesting were the mother/daughter duo of Ayaka & Ai Shindo. They manage a photo shop that’s actually a front for spirit warriors that come to have Youmu Stones appraised for money (Youmu are spirits that can be hostile sometimes, but for the most part live among humans peacefully. Think of the stones as the youmu’s heart). These two are unique in that they are Youmu themselves that have taken on human form, and thus interact with humanity more easily than some. They’re pretty neat, but apart from them everybody is worth your time in some way.

Availability & Pricing
Beyond The Boundary is a series that’ll have been out for a half decade this October, but it’s pretty damn easy to find. Over on Amazon, the Blu-Ray collection begins at $19.40 for a new copy, and $17.99 used. The original 3 disk version is incredibly expensive, with prices beginning at $59.98 for a new collection, and $43.45. Though I managed to find the show online through other means, I’d easily buy the Blu-Ray edition. It hurts my wallet way less!

Overall Impression & Rating
Beyond The Boundary is a fun little show. I don’t have the full picture of it, but what I did manage to watch was delightful. Gorgeous animation, coupled with a nice story & cast of characters (As far as I know), makes this anime really easy to take in. If you ever want a series that simple to watch....give this one a go, and enjoy!

Beyond The Boundary gets a 8 out of 10.

And that was my look at Beyond The Boundary. Again, I’m sorry that it isn’t completed, but I promise you that if I ever get access to the full series again, I will update this review with what I’ve missed. In the meantime, June is nearly upon us......and it seems that the power is rising. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment