Saturday, September 28, 2024

No. 1 Movies From 2014 To 2024

Last list, and it’s a little shorter compared to the others!

As you know, I didn’t have a top 5 movies list for 2020 & 2021. The reason why should be very obvious, but regardless my no. 1 movies of the years you see before you are certainly an eclectic bunch. Fortunately, there weren’t any ties for my no. 1 films of these respective years (Save for 1), so making this list was quite a bit easier when compared to the others. So, with that said fellow Otaku & Metalheads, here are my no. 1 movies from 2014 to 2024, Enjoy!

2014) The Lego Movie (Trailer)

Hard to believe that this turned a decade old earlier in 2024. In all of that time, my love for this film has never once wavered, and while later features in the Lego world did fluctuate somewhat in terms of quality, the very first one has been a massive bedrock in that regard. It really did feel like my Lego collection came to life, and I was transported into my toy chest’s world to have my imagination blown out of the water. Though there hasn’t been a new Lego movie on the horizon for over 5 years now, we still have releases like this one to scratch that childhood nostalgia itch when we need it.

2015) Kung Fury (Trailer)

It is incredibly frustrating that the 2nd Kung Fury movie is being held up in post-production for the past few years, all thanks to lawsuit issues with an investor. It’s a massive shame, since if it’s anything even remotely like what the first one was, it’ll be a hell of a good time. The original Kung Fury, despite being only a little over a half-hour in length, is a wonderful love letter to every cheesy martial arts movie & cheesy action movie of the 1980s, complete with purposeful bad acting and special effects. It might be a relic nowadays on the internet, with it being almost a decade old now, but I’m willing to be that many of you who’ve watched this short feature get a kick out of it every time.

2016) Deadpool (Trailer

The first time we saw the Merc With The Mouth, it was in the notoriously awful X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Luckily, that awful taste was washed out with 2016's Deadpool, and what a refreshing film it was! Nobody was ever expecting a rated-R movie from Marvel, but by god we got one. Swearing, sexual content, politically-incorrect humor, and so much more was in this film! Ryan Reynolds was perfect at the lead role, and the rest of the cast put in great performances as well. Over 8 years later, a cancer-ridden mutant in red spandex still piles on the bodies & makes me laugh until I’m on the floor wheezing from said laughter. If you ever missed out on this movie somehow, then I suggest you give it a go!

2017) Lego Batman (Trailer)

And here marks the only year that I ever had a tie for the no. 1 movie of the year. In 2017, we got not 1, but 2 Lego movies. At first I was considering to put them both here, but I had to step back & think about it, and ultimately I decided to go with just one of them. Make no mistake: Lego Ninjago was definitely entertaining, and looked just as incredible as the films before it, but it still comes across as the weakest of the series in my view. Lego Batman, on the other hand, is a glorious feast of silly! We already got a glimpse of the titular character back in 2014, but for him to take center stage in his own film was a smart movie. A little bit of the humor isn’t as good as what was in The Lego Movie, but that doesn’t ruin what is a really fun time. If you liked the first Lego movie, then you’ll love this!  

2018) Christopher Robin (Trailer)

Hard to believe that pre-2023 Disney still rocks despite it’s faults, and 2023 Disney was such a dismal failure (Save for one or two exceptions). I don’t know what was going on last year, because it doesn’t reflect on the quality of movies like Christopher Robin. In a year that saw the Marvel monolith Avengers: Infinity War, it was nice to see a more simplistic & sunshine-filled feature that really tugged at the heartstrings. Like I said in years prior, I actually teared up at least twice while I was watching it with my folks, and even if it didn’t make me weep, Christopher Robin is still fantastic. Great acting, simple story, and harkening back to characters that many of us had in our childhood, it all comes together into a film that’s old-school Disney with modern day filming techniques. If you want to see a feature from a time where one of the most iconic companies still had credibility, make it Christopher Robin.

2019) A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood (Trailer)

Maybe now, more than ever, we need Mr. Rogers to come back from the dead. We need the neighbor that we all knew & loved when we were growing up to come back, and help make sense of what life is like right now. We got a sliver of that in 2019, when Tom Hanks decided to step into the shoes of the legendary neighbor, and headline a movie inspired by an actual event from Fred Roger’s life. It was funny, it was serious, it was emotional, and it treated the incident that inspired the film fairly well from what I understood of it. Again, more now than in 2019, we need Mr. Rogers’s love.

2022) Violent Night (Trailer)

2020 & 2021 were brutal years for us, and at this point it seems silly to say why, because we know all too well what recent memory was like. Thankfully, by 2022 there seemed to be some amount of normality coming back, but at the same time we needed a few band-aids to put on us after the amount of scars we all got. One of these band-aids came in early December of 2022, when the absolutely over-the-top Violent Night was released in theaters. I’ve talked about it twice that year, and in both circumstances I gave it nothing but praise. Almost 2 years later I give it praise still, and I don’t think it’s gonna stop anytime soon. The movie was gory, funny, dramatic, and surprisingly touching in places I didn’t expect to happen. If you happen to be looking for a Christmas movie in a few months that’s different in all the right ways.....make it a Violent Night!

2023) The Super Mario Bros. Movie (Trailer)

Over a year later, and I still can’t get over The Super Mario Bros. Movie. Like I said in my top 5 movies of 2023 list, this movie made me nostalgic for a game series I have never connected with outside of a few circumstances. This movie made me feel for characters I never really had any connection to, and this movie made me cry in one scene (You know the one). When 90% of video game movies tank (Tank hard in some cases), it’s nice to see one that not only isn’t afraid to not only experiment a little bit, but also show that it has nothing but immense respect for it’s subject matter. If Illumination can keep this level of quality in future films based off of Nintendo games then I will be at every one of these, but even if they don’t for whatever cataclysmic reason, it was nice to know that they did it at least once.

2024) Deadpool & Wolverine (Trailer)

Like I talked about a few months ago, And seemingly throughout most of this year, my friends Isabelle & Neil passed away in March and April, and my year since their passing has been nothing but hot garbage (To be honest, it’s kind of been sucking since the start). There’s been a tiny few bright spots, and I’m doing a little better now, but overall 2024 has sucked nothing but ass. Not the kind of ass that would make a straight guy question himself, but the kind of ass that would turn a gay guy completely straight for the rest of their life. However, I digress.....

Back at the end of this past July, a special movie was released to the masses. A dumb, stupid, brain-rotting, over-the-top, foul-mouthed, hyper violent, dirty movie was aired on the silver screen, and some how.....some way.....Deadpool & Wolverine gave me some pep back into my step. Make no mistake: the movie has some small bumps in it’s armor, but the overall package makes this film one of Marvel’s best since Endgame from over 5 years ago (And Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 from last year to a lesser extent). Ryan Reynolds & Hugh Jackman are genuinely perfect together, as every joke & quip they say to each other makes me laugh and smile. Hell, practically every joke that was said or shown was genuinely funny, and everybody in the theater was laughing from beginning to end. It’s definitely one of my favorite movies of 2024, and as you can tell by this list.....it’s my number one of the year.

And those were my no. 1 movies from 2014 to 2024. Again, it’s a weird bunch all things considered, but it’s a bunch that I think shows off my taste in film quite nicely. Well, the spooky season isn’t that far away, but I’ve got something different planned. Very different. See you in just a few short days!

No comments:

Post a Comment