Monday, January 26, 2015

News 1: Leetstreet, Gamestop, Genericon

I may have lied a bit in my first “Metal Overview” post a week ago. I know that I said that next post was random, but that’s actually kind of a lie. Truthfully, this was more of a filler post before my get my next “Top 10” list. I wasn’t trying to be lazy, but I needed something quick & easy to get up before I work on the next big post. So as to not be of the typical kind of filler, I’ve got some news to talk about today. Some of it is pretty big, but the rest is a little more...light, so to speak.

For starters, I want to talk about a group that, while not Heavy Metal, certainly deserves some attention, and that’s the Leetstreet Boys. Singing about all the things that Otaku love (Anime, games, etc), they’ve been making the rounds at conventions since 2008, and providing their own lighthearted music for their fans. The band has been on hiatus since around May of 2014, but recently they’ve started a kickstarter to get funds for their fourth album, and they’ve already got a song out that will be on that album.

Pocky Girl Link

At this moment, $2537 dollars have been generated for the album, but they still have some ways to go before they reach their $9001 dollar goal. If you haven even a dollar or two available, please send it their way. If you’d like a link to their kickstarter page, then click on the link below. Show these guys some love!

Leetstreet Kickstarter Link

On a more serious note, there’s been some tragedy in the gaming world. Shortly before 11AM on January 14th, a 23-year old female clerk at a Gamestop store in Seattle was help up by a robber, who demanded that she hand over all the cash. She gave him the money, but that wasn’t the end of it. After the clerk hand went with the robber’s demand, said robber proceeded to slit her throat. She was immediately rushed to the hospital, and luckily, is still alive. The robber, fortunately, was arrested shortly after the robbery, and is currently charged with attempted murder. For more information, check out the link below if you’re interested (I actually found about this by said link).

AlphaOmegaSin Link

To conclude this news post on a happy note, I wanted to talk about one of my favorite conventions of all time, Genericon! That’s right, the student run convention that’s held at RPI in Troy, New York is hosting the 28th Genericon, with this year’s theme being retro gaming. This year will mark the 6th Genericon that I’ve gone to, and every time I went, I’ve had nothing but good times & great memories with some of the coolest people, nerds, otaku, and even a metal head or two!

I’ve got links for anyone who’s interested. First up is their Facebook page: if you’re already favoring the webpage, then you obviously know about this. If not, sign up to it, as you’ll get updates from them at the drop of a hat!

Genericon Facebook Page

Next up is the actual website for the convention. If you don’t want to go through their Facebook page, and want to get updates from them directly & to contact a variety of the staff members, then check out Genericon’s page!

Genericon Website

Well, that’s all I’ve got for this so-called “Random” post. Sorry if I deceived any of you last week. In any case, we’ve got another big “Top 10” heading our way, and on my favorite old-school anime no less. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment