Tuesday, April 14, 2015

In Memoram - Pete Steele

Ladies & gentlemen, on April 14, 2010, Peter Thomas Ratajczyk, better known as Pete Steele (In addition to other nicknames), lead singer of Type-O Negative, passed away at the age of 48 due to heart failure. Today marks the 5th anniversary of his death, an occasion that I’m sure many of you will be remembering by breaking out the entire discography, listening to it in a darkly-lit place, and probably enjoying a good shot of Jack Daniels. I’m not good with my liquor, but I will more than definitely be cranking up the volume!

I think we all have stories about how we found the Drab Four. Some are funny, some are more serious, and yet there are some that are strange or accidental. My discovery of Type-O Negative was most certainly an accident: way back in the summer of 2006, during the weird twilight of MTV when they were still kinda playing music videos, and I managed to catch the final minute or so of My Girlfriend’s Girlfriend, which if you’ve read my review of October Rust from October of last year (October Rust Review), you’ll know to be my favorite song off of the album. Kinda like when I first discovered Ministry, I didn’t think much of it for a little bit. Fast forward a couple months, and I have a swathe of their songs on my MP3 player from across their discography. In recent years, I’ve managed to finally get physical releases of their music, with my acquisition of World Coming Down in December of 2013, and a Complete Collection of their albums (During their Roadrunner days) from Christmas of last year.

If there’s one thing that I want you to take from this post, it would be to celebrate. Celebrate the life of Peter Steele, celebrate the memory of Type-O Negative, and enjoy the emotions that their songs bring out. Before I go, I wanted to show you some shots of the man known simply...as Pete Steele.
So this was my little tribute to the man know as Pete Steele. I hope you guys liked it, and maybe you’ve become a fan of the band because of my content this month. See you all later this month for another post, and remember.....Everything dies!

Everything Dies

No comments:

Post a Comment