Monday, December 9, 2019

Album Review: Everfrost's Winterider

Hello fellow Otaku & Metalheads. Pretty damn cold outside isn’t it!?

Normally I’d get out a holiday-themed anime review out, but I didn’t think of one. Finding a Christmas anime is somewhat tricky, and the ones I do want to take a look at are pretty difficult to locate. However, if you’ve paid attention to my prior 2 lists, you may have noticed me gushing about a new band from the icy reaches of Finland. A band that just so happens to be inspired by anime & manga, and contains a little bit of Visual Kei within it’s notes. That’s right, I’m gonna be talking about Everfrost!

Ever since early October when I discovered this band, I was immediately hooked. There have been plenty of metal bands (Power Metal or otherwise) that have at least grazed the land of the rising sun, but to sit down and listen to a group that have outright embraced Japan and it’s nerdy glory just warms my heart. I was fortunate enough to pick up the subject of today’s review weeks after I discovered it completely by accident thank’s a review of it from the Lair Of The Bastard music blog (Read here). Now normally I structure my reviews pretty tightly, but because of the nature of the album, but with how it affected me, I’m going to go a more “Loose” approach to the review. I’ll still have some form to things, but overall I’m going for a considerably more personal approach to how I look at this album. Anyways, shall we dive into the blistery world of Everfrost & Winterider!?

So let me start off by saying that this album......is deceptive. Highly deceptive, if I’m being honest. Right away, the cover of Winterider gives off an incredibly weeby vibe, and to be honest the music does continue the weebiness as it plays. However, that’s the genius of the deception. Yes, the music is weeby....but it’s the good kind of weeby! From my understand, the music that Everfrost plays takes place in the world that the band created. As stated in an interview (See here), Benji Connelly always wanted to combine Heavy Metal with Japanese anime and manga influences, and the rest of the band seemed to go along with this as well. The end result are albums that are quite detailed in terms of story & characters, and are also immersive as well. It obvious that a lot of care is put into the story & characters, and while I have a tiny issue with one aspect of the story (More on that later), I enjoyed it overall!

Even if you’re not big into anime, manga, and Visual Kei, you are still getting a hefty Power Metal package! You got the keyboards that conjure all kinds of noise, you got the soaring guitars, you got the bass that adds personality to the music, and you got some fantastic vocals from main singer Mikael Salo & guitarist/vocalist Markis Laito. Both put in a lot of work with their voices, as Mikael stands pretty tall when he sings, while Markis is like the loyal friend that knows how to kick some ass when he needs to. All together, these five beautiful Finnish dudes have come together, and somehow.....someway, created audible anime. Either they made a deal with Otaku Satan, or they’re really that nerdy, I don’t know. All I know is that even without their source of inspiration front and center, it’s obvious that these guys bust their ass in making some pretty unique Power Metal. I’ll be repeating this by the end, but I sincerely hope that Everfrost get popular enough here in the states. There are plenty of metalheads & Otaku that would just devour each and ever single track, and grab as much merchandise as humanly possible.

Now before I talk about some of the songs, I’d just like to give a quick apology to the band. Everfrost, I know I've left comments on your Facebook page. Hell, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt you’ve replied to my messages, and even put some of my stuff up front & center for people to see. However, I need to apologize because the first time I listened to your music, I was thinking to myself “This can’t work. This shouldn’t work. How does this work!?”. Upon realizing I was being a tad judgmental, I decided to take a step back, and assess the music in front of me. Almost immediately I came to the conclusion that sure, Power Metal mixed with anime & manga is completely natural! Hell, I had already been listening to such when I came across Battle Beast over 2 years ago thanks to their self-titled second album. Kicking myself for ever thinking this (Though I admit I still do just a tiny bit), I would just like to say......I’m sorry.

Picking the best song of Winterider was easy, and it has to go to Actraiser! All throughout the song there’s this sense of melancholy, and while it’s not overwhelming, it is easily felt, and creates a kind of tension as the song progresses. This is balanced out by how warm & fuzzy the track is at the same time. If I was to describe how I felt, I’d say that Actraiser is audio Shonen. The kind of song you’d hear in something like Naruto or Bleach, or maybe even Yu Yu Hakusho. We find that the main hero out of this little group of characters loses confidence with himself & his ability to protect his friends, but they don’t care. They’re with him, and they’re gonna stick it out no matter what. Sure that sounds stereotypical....but there’s something comforting about it at the same time. I like it!

Actraiser

So with all of the positivity out of the way, it’s time to get to the negative. Ironically enough, there actually isn’t all that much I can say about Winterider that’s bad. For starters, A Whisper In A Frozen Tale is the only song I’d say that isn’t good, but even then it’s only because of it’s running time. Seriously, 15 minutes!? Despite it’s running time, it’s actually constructed really well. A little jumbled in some small spots, but overall it’s crafted nicely. If the track had be lowered to 11 or 12 minutes, I probably wouldn’t have complained much.

A Whisper In A Frozen Tale

No, my biggest issue with Winterider is that the whole thing....is an emotional gutpunch. To give it credit, it does earn said gutpunch. Where as Blue Eyed Emotion (Their prior album) took a sledgehammer to your head & stomach in terms of emotional impact practically right off the bat, Winterider at least gives you a cushion to fall on after you’ve been punched in the feels. I will fully admit that I like a lot of my stories to have a happy ending, and given the nature of some of the tracks, I see why some listeners would expect this to happen. However, I listened to Winterider first rather than second, as the events that took place on the first release kind of reveal what was going to happen. Still, I will give Everfrost credit, and say that they softened the blow for listeners of this record. I only hope that the third release is a considerably happier affair than what came before it.

Winterider easily gets a 9 out of 10. I was close to giving it a perfect rating (Really close if I’m being honest), but those two things kept me from doing so. Still, I highly recommend this record to any metalhead who travels down the Otaku path like myself, and even if you’re just a Power Metal fan (Or fan of metal in general), it’s still one to seek out!

Well, everyone, this was my final post of 2019. I wanted to end it all on a surprise, and I hope that it was surprising for all of you. As for Everfrost, I just want to say thank you. Many bands have surprised me, and many bands have gotten me to turn around after some thinking....but you have managed to do both at the same time really quick, and because of that you’ve earned yourself quite the rabid fan! I sincerely hope you make it to the United States soon, cause I would like to shake your hand & buy as much merchandise as humanly possible.

Actually, I do have one last post I need to get up. It’s for a friend. Regardless, stay warm, stay safe, and always have the right people around you. Life is so much more easier when you have the right friends, and the right kind of family.


***
If you’re curious about this hidden gem of a band, right below are links to their albums & their websites. Enjoy!

Blue Eyed Emotion: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k9EudCouSneglNeimIaR_CiZkhWpU7kVM

Winterider: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mtMX3ZoCnbFHYAjB5Az0lyGynkTARscTk

Everfrost Website: https://www.everfrostband.com/

Everfrost Bandcamp: https://everfrostfinland.bandcamp.com/

Everfrost Youtube Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/tailsthefox241194

Also, I’ll be taking a look at Blue Eyed Emotion next December for it’s 5th anniversary. I definitely have some opinions on it......that’s for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment