Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Top 5 Movies of 2019

Welcome back fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

With my games of the year list released a few days ago, you know what time it is. It’s time to talk about what I think the best movies of 2019 are, and this year is strange indeed. No, it’s not going to be like my top 5 albums list from last year, but the choices I’ve picked are.....surprising to a certain degree. Some you’re not going to be surprised at, while others definitely will be. With that out of the way, here are my top 5 movies of 2019!

5) Aquaman (Trailer) & Bumblebee (Trailer)
Kinda like Dusk from my games list of this year, I’m starting off with two films that came out in 2018, and watched last year (Technically, I watched one last year, and the other in January this year). Both were an absolute blast to see. In the case of Aquaman, we got another one of the terribly few live action DC movies that was fun from beginning to end. Jason Momoa chewed up scenery in every single moment he was given, the rest of the cast was great, and unlike the forced morally grey Superman movies, this one knew how to be both fun & serious.

In Bumblebee’s case, we got what is perhaps the best of the Transformer movies. With Michael Bay nowhere near this movie, and Steven Spielberg instead taking the reigns as Executive Producer, not to mention a new director & writer. There is not a single trace of what plagued the previous 5 movies (Even though I apologize for some of them), and in place is a surprising amount of heart. The explosions were still there, the scenes that had them were earned.

In the end, it was great seeing the both of these, and if you haven’t for any reason....check them out!

4) Spiderman: Far From Home (Trailer)
I had an absolute blast of a time watching this movie! If the 1st after-credit scene didn’t bug me (Along with something else I can’t remember), I might have actually placed Tom Holland’s second time as Peter Parker a little higher on this list. Despite that little dent in the armor, Far From Home might actually have been better than Homecoming from 2017. The scale seemed grander, the emotions a little stronger, and even the acting seemed to have a little more oomph behind it. It’s a shame that we might not be getting any more good Spiderman movies due to Sony & Disney’s issues, but at least we got this one to fill the void.

3) The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (Trailer)
There was, for a brief time, that The Lego Movie 2 was going to be at the no 1 spot. I loved the original film, Lego Batman was hilarious, and Ninjago was weak but still entertaining. With the Second Part, there were a couple things I didn’t think were as good. Some of the jokes weren’t as strong, things were a little more predictable, and there were musical parts.....I’m not fond of musicals. It’s a genuine shame that I’m putting this movie here, as I love the original Lego Movie just as much! For as flawed as it can be, The Second Part has far more good than bad. It still feels like my Lego collection came to life, I still laughed at lot, the characters are still engaging, and overall I didn’t feel like my time was wasted. If the movie at the number 1 spot showed up later in the year, The Second Part may have very well taken it. However, due to it’s issues, not to mention how massive the next film is, The Second Piece gets set here.

2) Avengers: Endgame (Trailer)
For basically a decade, my generation (Along with prior & newer generations) has grown up alongside the films of the Marvel Universe. For a decade, we’ve grown up alongside Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. We’ve laughed, we’ve cried, and embraced them as pop culture icons & heroes we wish were real. Endgame brings together past, present, and future in one film. Everything I didn’t like about Infinity War (Which was little but major) was completely gone, and for 3 hours I was getting hit in the head with the nostalgia hammer in all the right ways. Hell, I even cried a little cause of how hard the film was tugging at the heart strings. If there was one movie in 2019 you shouldn’t skip, it is without a doubt Endgame.....although there was one other that managed to take the number one spot....and you won’t be surprised by what it was.

Now before I talk about my number one movie of 2019, I wanted to briefly speak about some honorable mentions. The two titles that have taken these spots this year couldn’t be more different. One’s a movie, and the other isn’t. They’re both flawed in some ways, but I don’t think they’re abominations. With that out of the way, here are my honorable mentions of 2019.

HM1) Men In Black: International (Trailer)
“Meh” is the best word to describe this movie. When I first saw the trailer, I was simultaneously glad to see that we’d be returning to the world of Men In Black, but at the same time I didn’t feel compelled to go see it. Come Father’s Day this year, and we took my Dad to see it, and me & my folks basically all had the same reaction. It wasn’t offensive by any stretch, as some of the jokes got us to chuckle, and the more recognizable cast members certainly did a nice job. On the other hand, I don’t have an urge to ever see it again (Unless it eventually comes to TV), and it’s nowhere near as stuck in my head as the prior 3 film are. Certainly not an offensive movie, but it’s a rental at the very least.

HM2) Wrestlemania 35 (Video)
Kinda like Evolution from last year (See my review here), plenty of fans were surprised by Wrestlemania 35. Despite it’s numerous issues, there was plenty to enjoy. The spectacle was big as usual, the wrestling was great for the most part, and the right people won in a majority of the matches. Though the issues it had were rather obvious, the things that were good kept the whole show afloat. It’s not one of the network era wrestlemania events I’d recommend, but give it a watch if you’re curious.

1) A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood (Trailer)
Like I said earlier, Endgame was number 1 for a huge chunk of the year. It hit hard in a lot of ways, and managed to eclipse Titanic miraculously enough. However, I would be hard pressed to say that Tom Hanks’s take on perhaps the most beloved children’s icon of all time took more precedent. Ironically enough, the movie is very deceptive, as it’s not a documentary on Mr Rogers (That was done last year). Instead, it’s actually a redemption story of sorts, and Mr Rogers is there to help. Based on a true story, it’s obvious that a lot of respect went into the writing and characters, and it shows. Given how awful 2019 was in places, it’s nice to know that the neighborhood is still open to everyone who wants to pay a visit.

And those were my top 5 movies of 2019. Definitely a fun bunch of films, each of which have something for everybody. I only have 3 posts left, so stay tuned.....and stay warm!


***
If you’d like to look at what I thought the best movies were of last year, check out the link below:

Top 5 Movies of 2018

Also, if you want to read my review on Wrestlemania 35, click on the link below:

Wrestlemania 35 (Review)

2 comments: