Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My Type-O Negative Album Ranking

Hello fellow Otaku & Metalheads!

Last week I told you all my story about how I found the band, it’s time I talk about how I would rank their discography. Given that there’s only 9 to their name, this didn’t take long. Everybody has their own take on how to stack Type-O’s library of records, so I wanted to show you how I would, and with that here are how I would rank the albums of Type-O Negative. Let’s begin!

9) The Best Of Type-O Negative
- In the band’s defense, this compilation wasn’t their fault. By 2005/2006, Pete Steel and the gang were already halfway out the door with Roadrunner, and thus they really couldn’t do anything about this. That being said, The Best Of Type-O Negative is a massive pile of flaming garbage. Outside of the one lone good track & the ordering of the entire thing, this compilation is nothing more than a cheap cashgrab. Hell, they didn’t even say the specific versions of the tracks picked, as they’re basically ones you’ve heard before (Hint Hint). Roadrunner basically did this behind the band’s back, and if the stories are to be believed, then this is the straw that broke Type-O’s back. I would sad get this only if you’re a die-hard fan.

8) The Origin Of The Feces
- In comparison to the album above, The Origin Of The Feces has more heart put into it. Granted, it is a fake “Live” album (To which you could call it a lazy move), but the band really went all out with the illusion of their creation. Though it comes across as dated in the nearly 30 years since it’s release, it’s obvious that Type-O had a lot of fun making this album. I wouldn’t say it’s essential, but it is a fun little novelty if you’re curious.

7) The Least Worst Of
- Now we’re getting to the good stuff! Though the order of tracks is rather jumbled, The Least Worst Of is a fine compilation of Type-O Negative’s tracks. Managing to encompass pretty much their entire career at that point, the various remixes & edits make this album feel like something that an independent band would produce. Coupled with the 3 tracks meant for World Coming Down (Which in turn make this compilation feel like a miniature version of that release), and the fact that the band had total control over what was to be on the compilation (Despite the stories that Pete told), makes The Least Worst Of worth picking up.

6) Dead Again
- I was tempted to put this album a bit lower on the list. Not because it’s bad, cause it isn’t. The only reason I would have was because it ultimately became the last thing the band ever did, and it carries a grey cloud over it’s head, making it something of a hard listen to. Even with that fact, Dead Again does a hell of a good job at being awesome. With Pete Steele finally clean & sober, it had new life thanks to the green man’s then recent re-conversion to Catholicism. He was able to explore the topics of soul searching & god in addition to Type-O’s standard subject matter. It may be hard to get through due to emotional factors, but as a reluctant way to go out.....it’s damn good.

5) Life Is Killing Me
- I’ve said it twice, and I’m saying it a 3rd time: Life Is Killing Me is the most bipolar album I’ve ever listened to. Is it a lighthearted album that has serious spots, or is it a serious album that knows when to smile? I don’t know, and I don’t think even the record knows. What I do know is that this release is fantastic. Though Pete was still on drugs at the time, he had managed to get out of the pit of depression he was in for a few years, and the end result is an album that feels more invigorated & less depressing than the main album before it. Much of what made their earlier work great in terms of subject matter is back, as well as some heartfelt tributes to Pete’s parents. Though confusing, Life Is Killing Me is worth your time if you can get a hold of it.

4) Slow, Deep, And Hard
- The album that started it all, Type-O Negative’s first release is also the one that sounds like them the least. If anything, it comes across more like Pete’s prior band, Carnivore. Granted there’s more polish behind the instrumentation, vocal work, and production, but it’s blood & gore all the same. Thrashy and punky with just a hint of goth, the record hits you hard and fast right from the first few notes. If you like your goth bands more on the “In your face” side of things, then you’ll probably like this release.

3) World Coming Down
- Now.....I almost had this album at my number 2. Almost. Being one of my absolute favorites (besides what’s at my number 1), the black sheep of Type-O Negative’s discography is perhaps the bleakest, darkest, and most serious thing they ever produced. It’s for that reason I distanced the band’s final album of the 90s, along with not wanting to put my favorite records side to side. With all of that aside, World Coming Down is a hell of a emotional rollercoaster. Depression, suicide, and drug addiction are just 3 of the subjects sung about on this release. Even the lone track with the sliver of positivity still comes across as dark in most aspects, which is unique on an album like this. If you can get through how emotionally heavy the record is, then World Coming Down is worth the time.

2) Bloody Kisses
- If Overkill from Motörhead was considered the birth of Thrash Metal by some, then Bloody Kisses is considered to be the birth of Gothic Metal. Slower paced, with themes of gothic sensuality, crisp cold air, and the feeling of a tall presence hanging over you are just some of the things that helped create this style. Slow, Deep, and Hard was a thrashier/punkier affair, & The Origin Of The Feces was effectively the same thing, but Type-O’s 3rd outing was a refinement of their beginning sound, and the end result is nothing short of classic. Despite putting it at number 2, Bloody Kisses is anything but, and it should be one of the first things you listen to from this band.

1) October Rust
- What to say about my 1st favorite Type-O Negative album. Take everything that made Bloody Kisses so good, and refine the instrumentation, vocal work, & topics. The end result is perhaps the most Gothic release the band ever put out. Just the 1st few notes of Love You To Death should be the indicator of where the band was going and was comfortable with. The Beatles & Black Sabbath influences were definitely all over October Rust, and that’s probably was gave this record the enduring appeal it still has today. After watching the music video for My Girlfriend’s Girlfriend so many years ago, I can see why fans of the band love this release so much....and you can count me among them. Easily recommended!

And this was my Type-O Negative album ranking list. I might be making some people twitch their eyebrows with this, but it’s what I sincerely believe is the right order of things. I got 1 more post towards the end of the month, when I’ll show you what my favorite songs from each record are......and they might not be the ones I’ve said before. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment