Friday, September 9, 2022

My 5 Favorite Non-Metal Albums

Welcome back to 8 years everybody!

So, I began the celebrations with the 5 lowest viewed posts. A strange post if there ever was one (Considering some of the stuff I put up here, that’s saying something), but this strangeness hasn’t stop yet! Like I hinted at last week, I’ll be talking about some of my favorite non-metal albums. Even before now, there’s always been songs that don’t cause furious headbanging in me, and even a rare album that isn’t made of chrome. In recent years however, I’ve brought into my library (Or re-brought in some cases) far more records that are typically not what I listen to. The 5 releases I have here are just a small handful of what I’ve been turned on to, as there are actually many more albums like this that I like. So, with that out of the way, here are 5 non-metal albums.....I actually like. Let’s begin!

1) New Radicals - Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too (Song / Album)

I’ve talked about this album twice back in June (And once in August) during my look back into the 90s, so I won’t repeat that much here. I will say that this is perhaps the most un-metal out of all the other records on this list, and is also some of the softest music I have ever listened to. Emotionally, this album is definitely loud & heavy, but instrumentally the music is some of the softest 90s rock that has ever been released. It can definitely get intense at times, but the New Radicals are definitely on the easier side of listening experiences. If you want to find out what made the 1990s so good, then Maybe You’ve Been Brainwashed Too will be of assistance.  

2) E Nomine - Das Testament (Song / Album)

An album I looked at back in April, I originally found this group back in 2020 by accident if you can believe it. I confess it was only a few isolated songs at first, so I admit there wasn’t a massive attachment at the time. It wasn’t until a little bit after Christmas last year that I picked up E Nomine’s first album. Well, a “Digitally Remastered” re-release from 2002 to be honest. Regardless, I love how unique Das Testament was & still is. Like I said in the review, I was blown away at how opposing musical styles could come together, and combine into something that shouldn’t work, but somehow does. Das Testament, and by extent all of E Nomine’s content, may be firmly in the obscure territory, but it’s that obscurity that makes it all the work seeking out!

3) Devin Townsend - Casualties Of Cool (Song / Album)

Of all the albums on here, this was the one that helped me begin to seek out music that wasn’t on the metallic side of the fence for a second time. Rather ironic, as Devin Townsend is one of the most metal musicians out there. However, that hasn’t stopped him from exploring other non-metal venues, as demonstrated by his lo-fi & ambient outings. However, it was his journey into the realm of Country & Blues Rock (With some Ambient on the side) that got my attention for whatever reason. Much like Das Testament, Casualties Of Cool is a strange album, but not in the way that you think. Where as Das Testament was weird in terms of musical styles, Casualties Of Coll is weird due to it’s emotional impact. The journey through this record is odd & trippy, filled with all sorts of alien-like imagery, yet there’s a strange clarity to it all if you manage to find & connect with it. I can understand why some would turn their noses at Casualties Of Cool on account of it’s weirdness, but this is one album that really does encourage the listener to sit down & give it a try.  

4) Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door (Song / Album)

For years, my Dad tried his ass off to get me to like Led Zeppelin, and for an equal amount of time I fought him on it. Since the early days of my childhood, I couldn’t stand it when they were on the radio or when Dad played them at home. I couldn’t stand the few songs that seemed to play over & over, but he always insisted that they were something special. Cut to Christmas of 2017, and in a sense I finally managed to get into the band with what would be their final album together. In Through The Out Door came out at a rough time for the band, on account of Robert Plant’s son dying 2 years prior, not to mention the various drug issues that everybody was suffering from (Read here for my review). This led to a record that is perhaps the one album in Led Zeppelin’s career that sounds like them the least, and that’s the reason I like ITTOD so much. Like I said in my review, I respect the hell out of Led Zeppelin at this point in my life, as they’re one of the most important building blocks of Heavy Metal. In Through The Out Door to this day is the lone record from the band I still find myself desiring to listen to whenever I think of these legends, and it’s renewed appreciation by my generation & the newest generation (And even some of the older generation who scoffed at it during it’s original run) makes me smile.

5) John Denver And The Muppets - A Christmas Together (Song / Album)

If I designed this as my top 5 favorite non-metal albums, I would have put this at my number 1. Much like The Black Album, I’ve had the soothing voices of John Denver and the colorful antics of the Muppets since my childhood. Whenever the vibrant green of the Christmas Tree entered our home, my parents would always get this album playing as we decorated. It would bring in so much warmth, it would feel like a cozy fireplace was in front of us, and the gentleness of the season would really kick in. Now that I’m a little over 35 years old, it hits harder than ever before. When I was a kid, A Christmas Together was the calling of me & my folks to come together in love and joy, but now it acts as a gateway into a more innocent time for me. A time where I wasn’t so cynical, a time where I still had plenty of wonder in my eyes, and a time where we all weren’t so angry or hateful. If I ever have a family, you can bet that I will play this for my significant other & our kids if we have any.

And those were my 5 favorite non-metal albums. As metallic as my bones & soul are, it’s nice to be able to supplement that from time to time. I’m not the only one in the regard, as I have a feeling that many of you are like this also. So, I’ll see you all towards the end of the month for a little more fun. Until then, take care!






No comments:

Post a Comment