Sunday, September 1, 2019

My Top 5 Highest Viewed Posts (At This Time) No. 5: Special Edition

Well fellow Otaku & Metalheads, this is it. On this month 5 years ago, The Heavy Metal Otaku blog was born. A more refined version of my original site Simple Anime Reviews & Facts, I have somehow managed to keep my little part of the internet open to everybody. Dedicated to the ways of Heavy Metal & Anime (Alongside a few other things), I feel far more comfortable working here than on the scatterbrain battlefield of Simple Anime Reviews & Facts. So, to celebrate being on here for 5 years, it’s time once again to show off my highest viewed posts......but this year it’s going to have a twist!

Instead of a bunch of posts with high views, I’m expanding things slightly. This time around, I’ll be talking about one highly viewed post per year that I’ve been around. Not only that, but I’ll be talking about 6 posts instead of 5, so consider the title of this to be a bit of a lie. With that out of the way, here are my top 5 highly viewed posts........the special edition!

6) My Top 5 Movies Of 2014 (Currently at 38 Views)

I will admit one thing to all of you: I was kind of half-assing things in 2014. Stopping one blog and starting another was basically pushing a reset for me, and thus I felt like an amateur blogger once again (The views from then definitely show). I kinda rushed everything for those first few months, and thus I kind of cringe at what I read from then. That being said, I was kinda surprised when I saw this post have the highest number of views in 2014. There were definitely some awesome movies that came out back then, so maybe that’s the reason why it got all the views it did. Definitely a surprise to me!

5) Convention Review - Genericon 2019 (Currently at 60 Views)

Straight out from earlier this year, I confess I had a little bit of ego in this post, and was a tiny bit hearbroken as well. Genericon 32 was the 10th in an unbroken string of trips to RPI for a weekend of geekery & being among people I’m incredibly comfortable around. I was hoping that newer con-goers would see this review & be inspired to continue going, but with just 6 dozen people reading this, I was a tiny bit sad. That being said, I’m still happy that it got the views it did, and who knows. Maybe this list might get people to read it more.

4) Metal Overview - Turmion Kätilöt (Currently at 263 Views)

Out of every overview I’ve made so far, I’m still puzzled at the amount of views on this one. Compared to Europe, the status of these Finnish madmen here in the United States is heavily with the “Cult” territory. I was introduced to this band all the way back in 2007 all thanks to a then friend/acquaintance, but I’m amazed at just how few people I’ve met know of Turmion Kätilöt. So color me surprised when I put this overview up back in 2015 (Not to mention the updates I gave it), and the amount of people that read it really shocked me. I sincerely hope that the band puts out more albums, as it’ll keep giving me excuses to update the overview & show off the band some more.

3) Food For Thought/Thought for Food No. 1: Cosplay is Not Consent (Currently at 338 Views)

2016 was the birth of my Food For Thought/Thought For Food series of posts, and I’m glad that I don’t post them often. 9 times out of 10 they’re about something that either pissed me off or pissed a lot of people off. My first entry in this series is no exception: I remember this being something of an issue back when I originally put this up, and it’s still an issue in 2019. Seeing the butchered pictures beforehand (That I eventually put in the post) just made my rage sharper & more obvious than it already was, and thus the seeds were planted for a really sporadic series of articles for my blog that continues to this day....for better or for worse.

2) Convention Review - Connecticon 2018 (Currently at 443 Views)

You’ve seen this one a few times here on the Heavy Metal Otaku blog, but this one bears repeating for a couple of reasons. For starters, it’s one of the highest viewed articles I made. Connecticon’s taking a hit in recent years, so it’s nice to see a lot of people who love the convention take time out of their day to read what I thought about it. Secondly, it’s one of the terribly few times that people have commented on.....anything I’ve posted on the blog. By this time that this review came out last year, it had been nearly 4 years since my little corner of the internet was up, so I was shocked that somebody left a few words saying something. That makes me incredibly happy! Of course.....

1) Convention Review - Connecticon 2017 (Currently at 568 Views)

There’s Connecticon 2017. Like my review for the convention at no. 2, I’ve talked about this post a couple times since it’s release. The single biggest difference between these two......is that I completely understand why this review has gotten so many views. 2016 seemed to be when the annual gathering of nerds at Hartford CT began to go downhill, and I faintly remember hearing some rumblings then. 2017 was where I started hearing a bit more, not to mention discovering some of the reasons why Connecticon was changing. I can only assume 2 reasons as to why this review got so many views: either people shared my sentiments at the time, or more casual Connecticon goers were curious. Either way, my review for Connecticon 2017 is the highest viewed post out of everything I’ve made.....and I don’t think it’ll ever get dethroned.

And thus concludes a special edition of the highest viewed posts. It’s definitely surprising to see how things have changed & progressed from 2014 to 2019, and I look forward to seeing what the next five years will bring. I’ll have some more celebratory content later on this month, so see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment